PDA

View Full Version : Essentials for a Zoa/Paly Only Tank?

Stray32
02/09/2009, 12:24 PM
Since I started this hobby, zoas and palys have been my favorite coral, and eventually I want to have a tank of all zoas and palys.

I am thinking about a custom made square, shallow bare bottom tank, maybe 36x36x18, which is about 100 gallons. I plan to stack the rock more horizontally than vertically, and possibly line two sides of the tank with the custom mag rock for additonal growing room. I have been satisfied with T5 lighting so far, so I would probably get two 4-6 bulb fixtures.

This is certainly not the start of a build thread since this will be a long term investment/plan, but it will happen one day. What I am envisioning is fantastic...whether it can ever become reality has yet to be determined.

I suppose my question is, other than the standard sump, lighting, and protein skimmer, is there anything that you guys would recommend for this tank, such as a Vitamin C doser? Any other additives? Reactors? etc...

Stray32
02/09/2009, 06:39 PM
Seriously, 35 people read this and no one can answer a simple question? Or is it that I am a newbie and can't get any help outside of the New to the Hobby section...which seems to be a norm on Reef Central. Thanks guys.

killingseed
02/09/2009, 10:00 PM
no , not at all, i think its mostly besause you seem to be on the right track , so why add to it at this point. carbon Reactors is always nice. all i can say is lights and more lights. other then time and dont watch them grow, oh did i say lights! have fun sounds like a nice tanks.

manhorsedog
02/10/2009, 08:54 AM
make as little work for yourself as possible. I have a zoa only biocube 14 and it is stock even the lights and everything grows crazy. I dont add anything to the tank just water changes. I find the less i mess with it the better things do.

KellyPug
02/11/2009, 09:59 AM
You can get away with no skimmer in your zoa only tank. They are okay with "dirtier" water than sps. My Purple Deaths actually thrive in a corner of my tank where there is detritus buildup. But once a week, I'll take a turkey baster and blast the detritus around so it's not sitting there forever. Don't think a calcium reactor is needed either.

And keep Furan 2 onhand in case of zoapox >.<

furman589
02/12/2009, 07:12 PM
[i]

I suppose my question is, other than the standard sump, lighting, and protein skimmer, is there anything that you guys would recommend for this tank, such as a Vitamin C doser? Any other additives? Reactors? etc... [/B]

A box of tissues near by