PDA

View Full Version : condylactis KILL CORAL?

wisco-reef
02/09/2009, 01:55 PM
I GOT SUCKERED INTO GETTING A CONDYLACTIS ANEMONE BECAUSE IT WAS ON SALE AND SO CHEAP THE GUY AT THE FISH STORE TOLD ME IT WAS A STEAL BUT THE MORE I LEARN ABOUT IT THE MORE I DONT LIKE IT.

acrodave
02/09/2009, 01:57 PM
all anemones will kill coral

Mook Man
02/09/2009, 02:15 PM
Doesn't the normal process go research --> buy rather than the other way around?

Theomi
02/09/2009, 02:20 PM
Using caps wont make it go away...
and +1 on research first

wisco-reef
02/09/2009, 03:43 PM
I HATE YOU ALL

acrodave
02/09/2009, 03:59 PM
Thats not very nice..You know you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar

hahaitzmickey
02/09/2009, 05:56 PM
haha yea those things are annoying, they move around so much get sucked up into my powerheads and filter all the time. they are quite inexpensive tho and eat just about anything. i have feed one condi a Maroon Gold Stripe clown fish for dinner before and a few damsels. i would say just keep MAX like 1 in ur tank. get rid of the rest!

jejton
02/09/2009, 06:02 PM
I have on in my tank as well. Its grown and looks good but it does kill some of the coral. For the most part it has killed some of my kenya tree frags and xenia but the oftentimes the kenya just gets stung and limp and then bounces back when the condi deflates for the night. I've been trying to find it a home though as it limits what i can put in that corner and I dont have a large footprint to begin with ( 65 gallon ).

Dweezle
02/09/2009, 06:58 PM
In my exp, Condy's can be a good pet. I've had a couple without any problems. They are cheap, hardy, fast growing and can be very pretty. Neither of mine had wonderlust as long as they have a hole in the rock for their butts. My perc won't touch either of my bubble tips, but loves my condy.

Ditto on research first, but I think most everybody has done it once...

Dweezle
02/09/2009, 10:42 PM
quick pic

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/521/21332611-15-08_0400.jpg

If it's wonding about, try putting it somewhere it has a crack between 2 rocks or a proper sized hole and feed it well after it sticks. Mine have never seemed picky about location as long as its rearend is safe and its belly is full.

NanoReefWanabe
02/09/2009, 10:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14356348#post14356348 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wisco-reef
I HATE YOU ALL

that is exactly what this board needs is more people like this...you posted and expected people not to mention the number one obligation you have to this hobby?Knowing, caring for, and understanding your tank inhabitants...knowing that, anemones will kill coral is some of the most basic knowledge you can read in this hobby...i have more bad news for you too..anemones will eat your fish too...Condy's can be voracious eaters and fish nappers...i too fell to the sale items, and bought a Hawaiian feather duster, and sat back and watched it wither away, as i have no way to feed it, and was told if i have mini feathers the big guy would be fine...apparently not true...similarly, sea apples, flame scallops, coco worms and linka stars, are all very difficult to keep, as their exact diet is unknown...

feed your nem atleast once a week to keep him happy, and he should stay put...can you return him to the store?

FOSELONE
02/09/2009, 11:08 PM
http://www.352media.com/rantingandraving/CMFiles/Images/CapsLock.jpg

jasonrp104
02/10/2009, 05:37 AM
I would've reacted the same way he did. He's fairly new to the hobby and probobly has no reason, that he knows of, not to trust his LFS. He asked a simpled question, got one answer, and a few examples of salt water elitism.

I would've skipped the caps though.

Condys are a cool nem. They grow on you as long as you get used to how they operate. They like to move so they are not real good with coral but you can set up your rock to keep it roaming in relativly the same area. I always thought of mine as a poor man's rittieri. They are cheap, adapt well and eat almost anything they can grab.