PDA

View Full Version : Diving near Honolulu?

CoreyK
02/09/2009, 06:29 PM
I'll be spending 10 days in Hawaii this March, staying with friends near Honolulu.
I'm a certified diver but not very experienced - probably just want to check out some reefs and things, don't think I'm ready for shipwrecks and the like.

Any suggestions on relatively cheap diving experiences/rentals?

Any input is appreciated,
Thanks!

sunfishh
02/14/2009, 08:17 PM
I went to Oahu about two years ago and decided to get back in the water after about 15 years. Because of this I choose Aqua Zone Scuba Oahu. They offer a free pool refresher course in the morning and a guided two tank dive in the afternoon. The seas were a little rough, but the experience was great. This is a link for more info:

http://www.hawaiiactivities.com/us/hawaii/oahu/sg/1134/ag/6290/

bigsink
02/24/2009, 10:27 AM
Do not dive Honolulu. It stinks! Very little in the way over reefs. I was very impressed in Kona and Maui though.

David P
03/01/2009, 11:22 AM
1/2 agree with bigstink... I didn't see much in the way of reefs, but I thought the diving was pretty damn good on Oahu, then again I like wrecks... I was doing a stop at around 70', look down to to the bottom at around 130 and saw 5 or 6 spotted eagle rays cruising around... I thought it was pretty nice. In my experience, the dive charters there are geared up towards the vacation diver that doesn't really know what the hell they're doing... I was FORCED to follow a DM, if that weren't bad enough, the dude wouldn't stop talking, even UNDER water!

Saltliquid
03/08/2009, 10:47 PM
My mum when she was alive use to say the same thing about me.

I could talk underwater!