PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick some equipment for a new tank !

malicedelight
02/09/2009, 07:14 PM
Hey guys, i just started a 45gallon bow front tank about a month ago, i just finished filling it with live rock, i have about 55lbs in it cause thats what i thought looked nice. I have an emporer 400 dual biowheel filter *i know its usless essentially aside from moving water around (well...now i do XD)* I have a heater, my water is at a solid 78.5 degrees. I just have to wait another 2 weeks or so for my rock to finish cycling as i added 15lbs a week ago (to equal 55) . I have 2 power heads already. I just want to get a good protein skimmer and a nice light setup..but would like to stay within some type of budget. I really like the idea of the orbit lighting system, im gonna need a 36" lighting system. And as for protein skimmers i really don't know all that much. Can someone point me in the right direction? I would like to keep some corals eventually and some anemonies but not right off that bat, so that hopefully gives you guys an idea of what lighting would best suit my needs.

46FiatYamaha
02/09/2009, 08:59 PM
I had a 46 gallon bowfront, and had a emperor 400 just as you do when I started. I soon found out the bio wheels and filter pads added nitrates, and I could never keep them under 15 ppm. So I got an AquaC Remora and ditched the emperor, and had much better water quality with that setup. Also, I used 2 x 96 watt PC's, and was able to keep soft corals but basically no SPS, if I set that tank up again I would look into a four bulb T5 fixture with individual reflectors, should be able to keep about anything with that. That's what I've learned in the few years of my 46 anyway

moondoggy4
02/09/2009, 11:53 PM
It would be a good idea to run a sump that way you can get a better skimmer for less say a used Euro Reef CS100 or CS 5/3. Those are about 125 used if not youu will need a very good HOB skimmer that will have to be oversized say used Deltic MCE 600 is about 350 used. I would use a Lifereef overflow.