PDA

View Full Version : lighting questions

NCMBM
02/10/2009, 09:43 AM
I'm confused, but whats new. I have a 60 gal cube, 24x24x26tall. I have a 20" 250w Sunpod halide over it with a 14k Pheonix bulb in it, bulb just replaced. The sunpod has six white LEDs and six blue ones. I also have a 24" Corallife 36w fixture over the tank, currently running actinics in it.

What would be a proper lighting sequence for this set up?

I was initially running the halide for 12hrs a day, saw increase in phosphates so cut back to 8hrs per day. Was running the 36w with a 50/50 bulb 7am - 4pm and again 8pm - 11pm. LEDs were run intermittently. I recently started having issues with diatoms and cyno in the main tank. I knew the halide was ready to be replaced and the 50/50 bulb is old and ugly. I have the 36w unit on for light when the halide is off as the LEDs aren't bright enough.

I know the 50/50 bulb is most likely the cause of the algae growth, its now full actinic. Will the actinic bulbs grow algae as well? I thought algae needed red light spectrum to grow.

How would you sequence this set up? LED's, Actinic and Halide from 7am till 11pm.
Thanks in advance

phish guy
02/10/2009, 09:51 AM
i think you may be having algae problems because of you long photo period, 16hrs is alot of light. i would say atinics on 11am-1pm the MH 1pm-9pm, atinics again til 11pm and moonlights all night.

thegrun
02/10/2009, 09:53 AM
I start my actinics about two hours before the MH. I run the MH for 7 1/2 hours. I keep the actinics on all day (the corals look better with them on) and keep them on for an hour and a half after the MH go out. My experince is limmited with the LED's so I can't help you much there. I have 4 one watt moonlights that I run for an hour before the Actinics and an hour after they turn out.

NCMBM
02/10/2009, 09:16 PM
OK, lets be sure I got this. The Halide(250w 14K) should be on for 8hrs max. The actinics should come on 2hrs before and stay on the whole time(36w pc single) and 2hrs after.

The LED's are white and blue( 6 each) should I run all off them all night? Or, just the blues all night and the whites on with moon phase?
I have timers for all with multiple events per day and adjustment for individual days.

One other thing, my home has many skylights so its quite bright all day. One of the skylights directs light into the tank in the early afternoon. Should this be taken into consideration with my light scheme?
Thanks for the help!

Sisterlimonpot
02/10/2009, 09:38 PM
Yes by doing this you mimic nature (in the morning the sun comes out and then it get's brighter towards noon and then slowly drops off)

The LEDs... Run the blues for the most part and also turn them off occasionally to mimic an overcast night.

natural light is always a plus for a reef tank. Some things lights can't mimic.