PDA

View Full Version : 25gal Tall - no filtration

shivvy
02/10/2009, 12:10 PM
Hey Friends!

It has a been a while since I have posted. My 14 gallon is doing really well.

I was recently given a 25gallon Tall tank and want to convert over. Do you think I could get away with 2 koralias in there and no mechanical filtration?

If it is working for my 14gallon wouldn't it work for the 25?

jenglish
02/10/2009, 12:17 PM
Just flow can still be used in a 25 as long as your are dilligent with water changes and the bioload is not overly high. keep and eye on water params and it can work just fine

Sugar Magnolia
02/10/2009, 12:17 PM
As long as you keep up with the frequent water changes, it should be fine.

shivvy
02/10/2009, 12:22 PM
that what I was thinking. I only have 2 percs, monti caps, acans, birdsnests and.....RBTA!

the nem has been doing great in the 14 and has been in there for 7 months. The tank has been up for 1.5 years.

I change water every week. I was just wondering if not running mechanical filtration, like filter floss, would be that detrimental. I plan on having enough flow to keep everything in the water channel so it really shouldnt be a problem.

what do you think? 2 koralis 1's facing eachother? I already have 1 koralia 1. should I bump the second to a 2?

shivvy
02/10/2009, 12:29 PM
oh yeah, I also have about 7 lbs of kalini in a bucket w/ heater and pump. It has been in there for a couple of months and just recently I noticed the coraline fading to white.

Would this rock need to be re-cycled? It was in my other tank that was a year old before I tore it down.

shivvy
02/12/2009, 02:55 PM
question...is it bad to only run a skimmer at night? I have one of those crap hang on back coralife skimmer and I don't want it all loud in the evening?

SaltyTX
02/12/2009, 04:07 PM
I like your line of questioning. I have a lot of the same...

cdbias2
02/12/2009, 04:17 PM
It's really no different than a quarantine tank.

shivvy
02/13/2009, 08:55 AM
cdbias, are you referring to the rock in the bucket question? I guess I will just test the water. If the results are fine, I will assume the rock is good to use with minimum chances a cycle.

BUMP ON THE SKIMMER QUESTION. I have never used a skimmer. is it ok to have only run a portion of the day? I have heard some people complain about having to blow into their venturi to get their skimmer started up. Also wasn't sure if doing this will hurt the whole "break in" of the skimmer.

thegrun
02/13/2009, 10:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14380057#post14380057 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shivvy
question...is it bad to only run a skimmer at night? I have one of those crap hang on back coralife skimmer and I don't want it all loud in the evening?

You can turn off your skimmer for about 8 hours a day; it cuts the efficiency of the skimmer by about half if you do so (so you would need to oversize the skimmer by twice your tank size). More than 8 hours is likely to eliminate any benefit of the skimmer. The skimmer does need to first be "broken in" on a 24/7 basis before reducing the time it is on.

shivvy
02/13/2009, 10:12 AM
sweet, thanks so much. That is what I was looking for. I can keep the skimmer on most of the time, I just wouldn't want it on between 6 and 11pm.

This is starting to look good.

now, I just hope I don't get kicked into a mini cycle after disturbing the sand.