PDA

View Full Version : Seachem Reef Builder???

Brisbane Lion
02/10/2009, 10:42 PM
G'day all

Up until now, to boost my alkalinity, I have been using Seachem's Reef Builder. However, after reading many of these forums, many others promote baking soda to do the same job. By the way, I think Baking Soda is also known over here as BiCarb Soda and is the same thing? If this is the case, I am curious to know how this is added and if I am missing out on any of the benefits of using the reef builder. The reason for my wanting to change of course is that BiCarb is much less expensive than the reef builder.

Kind Regards

Brisbane Lion

Billybeau1
02/11/2009, 12:41 AM
Here in the states, we mostly use Arm & Hammer baking soda.

Dosing is listed in the reef chemicals calculator under Reef Chemistry Articles. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/11/2009, 06:57 AM
Just use it exactly as you used the Reef Builder. I'd dissolve it in fresh water before addition. If you also want a pH boost, you can bake it first before use, or buy sodium carbonate (washing soda). There is no benefit of the Reef Builder that you will be missing out on. :)

HighlandReefer
02/11/2009, 06:58 AM
SeaChem Reef Builder:

Proprietary blend of
powdered carbonate,
bicarbonate, chloride
and sulfate salts of sodium,
magnesium, calcium,
strontium and potassium.

http://www.seachem.com/support/MSDS/ReefBuilder.doc.pdf

BiCarb Soda = Baking Soda = NaHCO3 = Sodium bicarbonate

Brisbane Lion
02/11/2009, 09:53 PM
THanks very much. I will discontinue the reef builder and commence the bicarb :-)

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/12/2009, 06:00 AM
:thumbsup:

Happy Reefing. :)

rickyscuba
02/13/2009, 01:29 PM
Hello Randy:

I'm a Reef Builder user too but I want to try BSoda method but dont want to rise my pH. The question is, how can I make the it...baked or not?

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/13/2009, 02:31 PM
Use it as you buy it without baking if you want no pH boost. :)