PDA

View Full Version : Who uses kalkwasser only?

sethdunne
02/11/2009, 02:02 PM
I recently started adding more SPS to my 12gal Nano and have some interest in switching from two-part supplements to kalk.
I go crazy reading through all of the technical stuff on the reef chem. forum. I get the basics but I'm trying to keep it simple.

Is there anyone who just adds kalk to their ATO, and/or sumps? I guess I need to know if those of you who do, do you also end up having to add anything else to keep PH and Alk in check.

I suppose what I want to hear is "no, just kalk in my sump/ATO has worked fine for supplementing calcium" But I understand that this is not that easy. I'm trying to avoid pricey reactors/CO2 and all that goes along with it.

On the other hand maybe some of you have the opinion that it is better in a smaller tank, to just stick with 2-part additives (currently I use Kent Nano A&B)?

Anyway, I'm new to the idea of using kalk and just looking for some feedback, again trying to keep it simple (yeah, I know, nothing's simple about keeping reef tanks).

nanojg
02/11/2009, 02:43 PM
really depends on how much sps and how much evaporation

nanojg
02/11/2009, 02:46 PM
In my 180 I had a lot of sps and a couple clams. I had 3-4 gallons of evap a day and I used only saturated limewater in the ATO, but I still had to add extra 2 part.

cthedaytrader
02/11/2009, 03:06 PM
I have a GEO kalk reactor hooked up to my 20GL and my tank is heavily stocked with sps. Since I added it my alk, PH and ca are much more consistent. I dont really add two part unless i need to make minor adjustments, kalk is mainly for maintaining not really to raise them right away.

The danger with mine is sometimes if It gets stuck on it can really raise the PH, my tank was only about 6 months old when I started the Kalk reacor and it did have one side effect. It hardend portions of my sand band and made them like rock. I researched it on here and people have had the same problem but I was unable to determine why or how to prevent it. I also have a acjr control my top off now as a safety measure, if my PH goes too high it will sht down the Kalk reactor, and the second pump which is just ro/di does the topping off instead.

Another benefit to the Kalk reactor is that I just dial down the the mixing times and duration based on the needs of m y tank.

I really like the Kalk reactor. But something else that I really wanted that you might want to look into if money is not an issue is an automated dosing system for two part. That can really dial in your numbers and add small amounts over the course of the day. The down side is the auto dosers are all expensive.

LJA
02/11/2009, 07:04 PM
In my 29 gallon I have only LPS and softies right now and besides using supplements to raise it on occasion, I only use kalk in my ATO.

I don't have a huge amount of coral though.

sethdunne
02/11/2009, 07:10 PM
LJA, thanks.
I don't have a lot of corals either and plan on only adding a few SPS. So basically you just mix up some kalk and add to your ATO container?
My tank evaporates about 1/4 to a 1/2 gal a day, not sure how I would calculate how much kalk to add to my ATO container.

Reefinabox
02/11/2009, 09:00 PM
What I used to do for my 75 was mix the proper kalk solution by the gallon and just used it for all my top off. It kept everything pretty much balanced except for the rare occasion I need to add a little buffer. It was actually a very easy system to maintain.

LJA
02/11/2009, 09:44 PM
It tells you on the container how much to add (Kent brand if you get that one). I actually just bought some in bulk from bulkreefsupply and received 1 pound for like $12.

If I remember correctly it is a maximum of 2 TBSP per gallon. Stir, and leave it be. when the container is just about empty you can rinse and out and mix again. I made the mistake of leaving a powerhead in the container to constantly mix it which I found out is not the right way.

Also make sure that the hose is not sucking up water from the bottom of the container, leave it at least 2 inches off the bottom so it wont pick up the sediment.

herozero
02/24/2009, 06:57 PM
i am by no means a randy, but isn't a kalk reactor's key feature keeping CO2 out so the calcium doesn't precipitate out of solution? Wouldn't simply adding kalkwasser into ATO water eventually precipitate the calcium out?

someone please correct me, i'm sure i'm not accurate.

mischief nite
02/25/2009, 09:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14474587#post14474587 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by herozero
Wouldn't simply adding kalkwasser into ATO water eventually precipitate the calcium out?

someone please correct me, i'm sure i'm not accurate.

You're correct if the ATO water is open to the air, but Not if the container was air tight......I use kalk in a DIY Tunze style dispenser in conjunction with the Osmolator. The only time the mixture is in contact with air is when I open the bottle briefly to add more kalk

herozero
02/25/2009, 10:00 AM
I think you just saved me $300 on a geo reefs reactor. My ato bin is an airtight dog food container with two holes just big enough for my osmolator pump power and water tubes.

Jadams
02/25/2009, 11:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14375334#post14375334 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LJA
I made the mistake of leaving a powerhead in the container to constantly mix it which I found out is not the right way.

What happens if you leave a powerhead on 24/7 in your ATO to constently mix the Kalk? Are their adverse side-effects to the Kalk once topped off?

Thanks!

mischief nite
02/26/2009, 12:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14479668#post14479668 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jadams
What happens if you leave a powerhead on 24/7 in your ATO to constently mix the Kalk? Are their adverse side-effects to the Kalk once topped off?

Thanks!

My guess--Some of the kalk powder never fully mixes with the water......so, it's just being stirred in the water column and if your ATO kicks on.....the unmixed kalk powder is going into your display/sump....harmfull??....I don't know, but if your powerhead just comes on intermitently..... the unmixed powder can settle and only the good-mixed solution is entering the aquarium

hebygb
02/26/2009, 02:06 PM
I use a GEO kalk reactor for all my ATO... Its been running for a year... you do not have to calculate how much to mix because it will only dissolve to a certain level and then settle at the bottom of the reactor. I have a lot of coral in my 65... my evaporation is about 1 gallon a day. i add Essential Elements only. My tank is also heavily stocked 4 chromis, two percs, coral beauty, Flame Hawk, yellow tank... they have a ll been doing well for over two years together with this dosing schedule. My Kalk reactor mixes by a timer 4 times a day for 15 minutes each time. I am liking what Cthedaytrader said about the controller and the second pump... that sounds more accurate and stable.