PDA

View Full Version : attach ro before or after water softner?

MHannon
02/11/2009, 04:10 PM
We are on a well and right now I have the rodi unit connected to a hose fitting on the well tank which is before our water softener (injects soda ash (sodium carbonate)) And being on a well, the water is very cold, less than 50 degrees F. Since cold water really slows water production, I want to attach a Y fitting to a washing machine faucet and adjust the hot and cold taps so they both funnel down to one hose and raise the temp to about 70 degrees. The only problem with this is that this is after the water softener. My question is, Will the addition of sodium carbonate into the membrane be harmful? Or would it be better to leave it how it is? The tds right out of the well before softening is always less than 60. I'm not sure what the tds is after softening.

Buckeye Hydro
02/11/2009, 04:36 PM
If you have the option - feed the RO or RODI system ONLY softened water.

The softener will also help you avoid complications from some other water quality issues that softener may have been installed to handle.

The TDS after the softener will be very similar to the tds before it.

Russ

MHannon
02/11/2009, 05:53 PM
Oh, ok. By my logic, the sodium carbonate would just get filtered out and exhaust the membrane more quickly. However, thinking about it now, Our pH out of the well is about 6. Does the low ph affect the membrane? Either way, the softened water has a pH of 7 so that means less buffering for making salt water.

Buckeye Hydro
02/11/2009, 06:48 PM
The membrane won't be bothered by a pH of 6

MHannon
02/11/2009, 07:07 PM
Ok, so I will hook it up to the washer hot/cold tap. What would be the ideal temp of the water going into the unit?

Buckeye Hydro
02/11/2009, 07:21 PM
A little less than 80 degrees F would be a good target. Be careful not to expose the membrane to HOT water. Your hot water is likely somewhere around 140 F.

Russ

MHannon
02/11/2009, 07:52 PM
Ok. Thank you very much