PDA

View Full Version : drinking RODI water

dolt
02/11/2009, 03:53 PM
I know I had seen info about this in the past but do not recall the consensus. I have been using my RODI water for personal drinking. I wanted to make sure that this is safe to be doing. I would assume yes, but I am not sure if there is something that I am missing. I am using all BFS carbon, prefilter and DI resin.
Thanks in advance

Buckeye Hydro
02/11/2009, 04:37 PM
I'd recommend you drink the RO water rather than the DI.

There is debate about the health effects of drinking highly demineralized water. The very practical issue is that folks typically don't like the taste of DI water unless it is run through carbon after the DI resin - and once you run it through that carbon... it is no longer "DI water" anyway, so why pay theextra money for the DI resin capacity you burn making the water.

We can set you up with some fittings if you want to access the RO water before it gets to the DI stage.

Russ

dolt
02/11/2009, 05:06 PM
thank you.
So there is nothing potentially harmful in the DI water though? As long as that is the case, I will have to think about it as I do not mind the taste. Is it easy to use the kit and make both RO and RODI water?

Buckeye Hydro
02/11/2009, 05:52 PM
DI water is very aggresive - it will corrode through copper pipe for instance.

Even if there is nothing to the often cited issue of DI water "pulling" minerals from your body, I would not want the enamel on my front teeth to have prolonged/chronic exposure to DI water.

I am not a medical professional so please take my advice with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't make a habitat of drinking DI water.

getting RO water from your system would mean the installation of a quick connect tee, and one or two little ball valves. It would take me less than 20 seconds. Might take you 30!

dolt
02/12/2009, 07:20 AM
That seems so counterintuitive. I thought that DI water is nearly pure water without much at all for contaminants. How in the world then would it destroy copper pipes?

Buckeye Hydro
02/12/2009, 06:12 PM
It is corrosive specifically because it doesn't contain much more than H2O.

TheEdge
02/17/2009, 10:23 AM
Russ I'm confused (I bought a 75gpd unit a few weeks ago from you). I have been drinking water from the system and I thought it was RO water and not RO/DI water. I put the shutoff tee at the end of the DI output tube to stop DI water from coming out, and I am filling my water jug from the other output area (the one I had to buy my own tubing for because it didnt come with tubing). Which water am I drinking? Also is it okay to run the system with the DI output stopped by a valve?

Buckeye Hydro
02/17/2009, 05:55 PM
Edge - Please check your instructions - especially the schematic. If you are getting water from the tube that leads from the RO to the DI, then you are drinking RO water.

johnlvs2run
08/21/2009, 10:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14377348#post14377348 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dolt
That seems so counterintuitive. I thought that DI water is nearly pure water without much at all for contaminants. How in the world then would it destroy copper pipes?

I agree. Pure water is less corrosive.

Of interest is this recent post about "nuclear" grade resins.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=15555175#post15555175