PDA

View Full Version : Tank transfer info to fight ich needed

spongebob281
02/12/2009, 01:16 AM
I'm changing my mind about hyposalinity and copper to fight ich. I'd like to switch to the tank transfer methods. Do you just pluck out the infected fish and put them in to a new tank every 3 days? What are the protocols ..thanks

greenbean36191
02/12/2009, 07:53 AM
Transfer the fish to a new tank every 3 days and then clean and dry the old tank before filling it again. Repeat at least 4 times.

The display tank still needs to remain fallow for at least 6 weeks though.

spongebob281
02/12/2009, 10:10 PM
Do i neeed to acclimate during transfer ? how stressful for the fish is it compared to copper?

billsreef
02/13/2009, 11:11 AM
So long as the water in the new tank is the same temp, salinity and pH (or at least reasonably close) there is no need to acclimate. Just transfer the fish, without introducing water from the old tank. The stress from moving is certainly a factor, but if the fish is in generally good shape, it's quite minimal and not a concern.

spongebob281
02/13/2009, 11:06 PM
thanks for the info guys

goldmaniac
06/01/2009, 08:08 AM
Additional question -

Instead of emptying out and drying for 24 hours, could i empty the tank and fill with clean, 1.000 s.g. fresh water overnight?

Does salinity kill ich in this [12-hour] time period?

That would still give me 1 or 2 days to add salt and adjust salinity...

I'm asking because I don't know - I've tried copper (too harsh) and hypo (very long process) and I'm looking into the transfer method.

My display tank is now ich free and i would like to keep it that way. And I KNOW that I'd goof it up and something wouldn't be completely dry somewhere, like in an overflow or a hose or something.

Thanks in advance -

E.G.

redhanded77
06/04/2009, 01:42 PM
im in the same situation as you. i have a few fish that i am treating with the tank transfer method, and its been about 2 weeks now. instead of every 3 days, ive been doing transfers every 2 days. also, for the first week, i was using quick cure in the water.

i had a tang that was infested with ich and was close to death, and after the first week, all symptoms were gone and i havent seen anything come back. he is now eating like a pig and is very active.

since im using a new tank, i was thinking another week of transfers and they would ready for their new display tank. the previous tank that they were housed that had ich, will be broken down.

tmz
06/04/2009, 08:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15112445#post15112445 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by goldmaniac
Additional question -

Instead of emptying out and drying for 24 hours, could i empty the tank and fill with clean, 1.000 s.g. fresh water overnight?

Does salinity kill ich in this [12-hour] time period?

That would still give me 1 or 2 days to add salt and adjust salinity...

I'm asking because I don't know - I've tried copper (too harsh) and hypo (very long process) and I'm looking into the transfer method.

My display tank is now ich free and i would like to keep it that way. And I KNOW that I'd goof it up and something wouldn't be completely dry somewhere, like in an overflow or a hose or something.

Thanks in advance -

E.G. :) No I don't think that will work. The cysts can survive unless they dry out. The tank and related equipment must be totally dry.
Use a simple set up with maybe a piece or two of pvc for shelter and an air stone and a heater.Don't feed much and check ammonia carefully. You will be doing a full water change every three days so ammonia shouldn't be bad but I'd watch it. Keep some Ammo Lock or Amquell on hand in case you need it.

greenbean36191
06/09/2009, 06:22 AM
Yes, it will work. The cysts will be killed by 3 hours of immersion in FW.

goldmaniac
06/09/2009, 08:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15161588#post15161588 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greenbean36191
Yes, it will work. The cysts will be killed by 3 hours of immersion in FW.

Thanks greenbean. That's what I figured since a hypo treatment will kill cysts, as well.

** after my 1st transfer, the hippo tang looked REALLY bad the next day. I think i stressed him out too much. I switched to a copper treatment. yes, I chickened out. **

but I'm currently stocking my empty (1 fish) 120 gal, so I'll have plenty of future opportunity to try this transfer method. maybe I'll empty the old (transfer) tank and refill with fresh RO/DI water and let sit, running, for a 2-day period, and then add salt 24 hours before the next transfer. thanks.

seattleguy
06/09/2009, 10:39 AM
This is an interesting way to treat fish for ich. I had not heard of it before reading this thread. Is there another thread somewhere else that I can check out regarding this methodology?

tmz
06/09/2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks . Didn't know freshwater would kill them that fast.

goldmaniac
06/09/2009, 10:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15162820#post15162820 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seattleguy
This is an interesting way to treat fish for ich. I had not heard of it before reading this thread. Is there another thread somewhere else that I can check out regarding this methodology?

There's about a half-dozen threads on RC

just do a search with the keywords: transfer method