PDA

View Full Version : candycane, acan placement

MotorCityBadBoy
02/12/2009, 10:20 PM
Where do I put these in my 55 gal tank? Acan is off to the side mid level...candycane is mid level in the middle...at least right now...Thanks in advance!http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/5151/208490lime_green_candycane.jpg http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/5151/208490acan_lord.jpg

levi1803
02/16/2009, 10:44 AM
I keep my candycane in the sand bed as well as my acan, they both seem to be doing really well there. My tank is a 46 gallon bowfront (21 inches tall) with 5 39w T5 bulbs. Candycane has tripled in size in the same location in 5 months.

BrentB
02/16/2009, 01:40 PM
I purchased a very nice piece of candy cane over the weekend. I had read it's green color is at least partially due to the zooxanthellae in it's tissue and that it required higher lighting, similar to a hammer coral or open brain.

I have power compacts lights in a 29gal biocube. My hammer is near the top of the tank and doing very well. It has split and has gone from 3 heads to 4 heads in the past month.

I placed the candy cane at about the same level. The polyps are at the ends of pretty long stalks (about 4-5 inchs) I've noticed in many pictures that candy cane is just peeking out of holes in the live rock, and you can't even see the stalks.

Should I move the candy cane lower in the tank. The lighting par levels drop from about 230 at the top (where it is now) to about 80 at the sand bed.

Advice?

JEFFR259
02/18/2009, 09:22 PM
Brent- try not to hijack people's threads out of courtesy :) Just a friendly reminder.

MotorCity- Depends largely on what type of lighting you have. What are you running?

FelipeRB
02/19/2009, 10:00 PM
Jeffr259 have razon, depent of you ligthing, but regularly the candycane need low to med ligth and flow, the acan could be more demandant of ligth, but each acan is especial you can know it whit the displayed color. i think the first place always must be the bottom to acclimate.