PDA

View Full Version : Ich & running DT fallow, ? about Chromis

n2aviation
02/13/2009, 01:30 AM
I'm finally taking the advise of many that agree a QT is a MUST. I know, I know. That's why we are finally doing this. Just had "friends" that I swear, they drip new fish and throw 'em right in the DT and NOTHING happens. LOL Perfect tanks and everything is beautiful and lives for years. LOL However, we are as un-lucky as they come (and why we NEVER go to Vegas).

Our Mandarin has now passed after over a year having him and now my female Perc is having problems. Wrasse and Tang are showing signs of Ich...possibly velvet (or similar) on the Perc. The Mandarin I think died of possibly being stung and possibly insufficent food (had thousands of big fat copepods when we bought him and just started culturing 'pods here recently when we changed out half of our live rock b/c of severe hair algae and aptasia problems). We do have an in-line refuge but it's small. So I think with live food poplulation not being there and possible stinging, he has passed.

Now on to my question....we are setting up an old 30 gal. for a QT this weekend. All our parameters are okay, except nitrates stay up but we are working on that with twice weekely water changes which is great with a new RO/DI unit. Several snails and hermits, 2 cleaner and 3 peppermints (finally got that darn aptasia under control), rose anemone, and asst. corals. I have 4 blue-green Chromis since the start of this tank 2+ years ago. We recently added the Wrasse and think this was our problem.

After tons of reading tonight, I want to run the tank fallow (fishless) and plan on this for the whole 8 weeks. Here is my question, what about the Chromis?? Since they are scaled, does the Ich or velvet take to them at all and would I have to remove them to the QT also? All other fish aren't "scaled" so that's why I'm probably seeing the problems (scratching up against rock, etc). Will the Ich and Velvet die off if all the inverts stay in the tank if all fish are out? I want to make sure we are doing this right. Any anwers would be welcome. Thanks.

erbio
02/25/2009, 10:41 PM
Chromis with ich:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/DamselPIX/Chromis/_J8T0973%20sick%20chromis.jpg