PDA

View Full Version : coral noob<--

moocow
02/13/2009, 07:54 AM
Hey guys, I currently have a 12gallon nano DX that has been up for about 4 years now.
I have kept some brown polyps or zoas(i'm not entirely sure) and they have literally spread like fire.
I also have had a rock anemone that has done great.
And before we lost power for two weeks, I had a small colony of pulsing zenia that was doing just great.

But now I'm moving into a 28gallon HQI nano cube.
I would like to better my understand with corals and propagation.

If i understand correctly LPS corals are easiest to keep? (including mushrooms and polpys)

I don't plan on keeping more than a handful to make sure I've got a grip on this.

So based on my limited experience...what would you recommend?

hotrod797
02/13/2009, 08:32 AM
Yeah.... you pretty much hit it, any of your softies zoo's, mushroom's, Brain coral's are pretty easy, torch coral and so on, those are all pretty hardy and can handle quite a bit, not to mention most of those spread pretty quick so you will be fragging them out in no time!! enjoy!!

JEFFR259
02/13/2009, 09:02 AM
Hotrod's right.

LPS in general (compared to SPS) are easiest to keep. Now, there a certain LPS that are harder to keep than others, but with the basics down (lighting, water quality, etc), the following LPS can be simple to care for:

*Euphyllia Species
-Frogspawn
-Hammer
-Torch
*Open Brain
*Mushrooms
*Pulsing Xenia (sometimes can be hit or miss with no reasoning why)
*Chalices (not the easiest so to say, but pretty darn close)
*Leathers (some need HIGH lighting conditions)
*Galaxea (easy, but very aggressive, HUGE sweepers, so I'd stay away from it in your small tank)
*Palys, Zoas, etc

Have fun and Good Luck!

jjmcat
02/13/2009, 03:42 PM
Just be careful with some of the Euphyllias since they can throw out some long sweepers and attack other corals.I guess that really goes with a lot of lps corals though.

moocow
02/14/2009, 12:39 PM
thanks for the info guys.
I only plan on keeping a sparse amount.
Atleast until I feel like I understand this a little better.