PDA

View Full Version : Best photo period for an in-sump refugium?

Kissfan79
02/13/2009, 08:32 AM
Generally speaking...what is the best photo period for an in-sump refugium? I read on a thread here that you should run your fuge light either 24/7 or on an opposite cycle of your display tank lighting (your fuge lights come on when the DT lights go off). Which is the best cycle? I kinda' prefer the opposite cycle of my DT being as some light creeps out around the stand and reflects off of the wall behind the tank. This way....I don't have to see it being as I am asleep :p . Also....for a fuge to grow pods with...how much live rock should go in the fuge?

Thanks, Jim

Fish_wiz2
02/13/2009, 08:59 AM
I like reverse as it is needed by chaeto in order to grow, for pods you don't need much as they reproduce in the chaeto too (really anywhere as long as nothing is consuming it)

RRaider
02/13/2009, 09:04 AM
Reverse isn't needed by cheato for growth. I run my light 24/7 and that stuff grows like crazy. I have all kinds of pods including mysis shrimp growing in my fuge and none of the populations seem to be effected whether I run my light on a reverse schedule or 24/7. I do tend to get more growth out of my cheato running 24/7.

DiverD
02/13/2009, 10:17 AM
24/7 and reverse have worked fine for me.

spleify
02/13/2009, 10:24 AM
I run mine on a reverse cycle

Jason Donohoe
02/13/2009, 10:53 AM
24/7 will allow for more macroalgae growth and more nutrient uptake as a result. If you are trying to blunt the pH swing caused by CO2 building up overnight a reverse light cycle is better. The macroalgae undergoing photosynthesis overnight will use up some of the CO2 and reduce the pH drop. That is the theory anyway, I didn't notice a difference in the morning pH on a reverse cycle. Currently my refugium is lit 24/7 and the chaeto is growing well.

Rbacchiega
02/13/2009, 11:09 AM
I've always run it 24/7 and my cheato grows like mad. I've also got enough pod production that I can keep my pair of Mandarins as well as a couple wrasses without issues.

Kissfan79
02/14/2009, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the replies. Currently....I have mine set for a reverse photo period....just because I don't like the light poking out the sides of the stand. I may play with it and go 24/7. We'll see.

Jim