PDA

View Full Version : Help with clam please

James983
02/13/2009, 12:51 PM
I have a Croacea clam for 2 years sitting in the same place. he was angled away from the front glass attached to the glass. Today I was cleaning some bubble algea off of him and I noticed he was no longer attached. Is that a sign that he may be on the way out? Any input is appreciated.

unbreakable
02/13/2009, 12:59 PM
as long as its mantle is not receding when the lights out, then no. itll grow again and reattach to an area it likes. just check it for any pyram snails, clean the algae off the shell put it in an area that you want

James983
02/13/2009, 01:06 PM
unbreakable, have you seen them let go before? Its funny cause many times I wished he was positioned so I could see him. Now I'm worried about him.

ctenophors rule
02/13/2009, 01:10 PM
they will let go just like all clams when they are trying to find a better location. some bivalves will even use jet propulsion to get to a new place, so i think your guy just crawling away on his foot is fine.

James983
02/13/2009, 01:17 PM
thanks, I hope he don't start shooting around. He'll destroy my SPS lol, but seroiusly he could do some damage.

runningstix
02/13/2009, 01:27 PM
I positioned my clam how I wanted about 10 times, it would move every time so I stopped messing with it and its grown like crazy. One day it will be mouth showing, next the backside showing, one day completely sideways. The thing moves all over the place but looks happy so whatever works. Mine is a derasa clam though.

unbreakable
02/13/2009, 01:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14387454#post14387454 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by James983
unbreakable, have you seen them let go before? Its funny cause many times I wished he was positioned so I could see him. Now I'm worried about him.

long time ago i received clams and had their foot fall off. i usually throw that away or let the snails and crabs eat it, but if you put it (maxima or crocea) on a rock or put something underneath, itll secrete new fibers to attach. just make sure the mantle faces the light, top views of the clams are awesome too

usually deresas and squamosas stay in the sandbed

James983
02/13/2009, 02:21 PM
thanks for all the replies. I put him upright on a flat rock. His mantle is open nice and for the first time he can be appreciated.

reefscape15
02/13/2009, 06:18 PM
try to find an old flat shell of some sort, and put the smooth side up, positioned where you want it, and then fill with sand. I have heard this works because they like a smooth surface to stick to, but i have never tried it. I had a sweet blue baby maxima but i got a large hermit crab to take care of some algae and he ended up eating the clam instead! Jerk!