PDA

View Full Version : Acan trouble

Jsin
02/13/2009, 06:44 PM
I have a lot of LPS, some softies,some leathers, and a few SPS. I have three Acan Lords and they were doing great untill a few weeks ago. Nothing else has been affected except the Lords. The problem is they are not extending their polyps as they always have before. Now I have checked all my chemicals and the only thing that moved was the Ca it droped from 420 to 380. As soon as I saw this I adjusted it back up. Ph is 8 - 8.2 Alk is 12 nitrates are reading 5 - 10 . I have tryed feeding early in the morning when I see some tenticals out but the puffy polyops have not returned. Any suggestions.

mscarpena
02/13/2009, 07:01 PM
If they are aussie a lot of people are having issues with these guys. I have not seen any real anwsers for solving this issue. Try an iodine dip some times that seems to help/

Jsin
02/13/2009, 07:09 PM
Yes they are Aussie's. Ok that couldn't hurt. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chibils
02/13/2009, 10:48 PM
Interceptor has had the best results I've seen.

snorvich
02/14/2009, 07:42 AM
What is interceptor treating for? Should all be dipped prior to putting in the DT?

iamwrasseman
02/14/2009, 10:27 AM
yup give them a bath in interceptor that should help, and if it does and the condition returns you may have to nuke your tank .if so do some reading on the process and get a few opinions too, there are so many thoughts on the interceptor dips and treatments .

wet reefer
02/14/2009, 10:49 AM
Too much light maybe? Mine extend much better under medium light.

Jsin
02/14/2009, 11:17 AM
These have been in the DT for 5 months and they are in the sand on the bottom so I dont think it is too much light. As fo inteceptor I thought it was to treat rug bugs and other paracites. If bugs were the problem I would think that some of the other corals would be affected. Every thing else is doing great even the Acan enchanta. I have not added any thing new to intruduce any worms or such. Dont know I am open to suggestions though

iamwrasseman
02/14/2009, 11:47 AM
the interceptor will kill off the parasites yes but i thought that it was your whole tank ,its kind of open how you worded it .the aussie acans were the first to be noticed with the parasites but there are many others bringing disaster into our living rooms .thats where my thought were coming in because i lost thousands in corals to the pests but that probably isnt your issue here . the iodine dip may be the thing to try ,it wont hurt anything but thats also a blind try ,is any fish or crab interested in the acans ,maybe nipping at them .different flow ,they like lower flow low to moderate light . any new additions as far as chemicals ? i know thease are question that you have probably asked yourself but im just trying to help . ck all paramiters including temp.i would suggest the interceptor dip and an iodine dip also prior to any coral entering the display tank ,it would have saved me thousands in corals and many many countless lost hours in frustration .

Deftones2015
02/14/2009, 12:18 PM
Have you changed up the flow at all or the position of the Acans?

jadeguppy
02/14/2009, 12:37 PM
I'd check the magnesium. Mine didn't like it when the mag dropped. If your ca dropped, your mag may have dropped as well.

Jsin
02/14/2009, 01:54 PM
I did remove a K-3 that was blowing sand around so flow did go down.I do still have 2 mag drive 5's on either end, and my mag was 1200 yesterday. Thanks for the tips. I have done an iodine dip and have been raising mag slowly, will see if that helps at all. Thanks any more tips or suggestions I love these corals and want them as happy as everyone else.

mscarpena
02/14/2009, 01:55 PM
My understanding is interceptor will kill any crustation. I have never used it so I normally dont reccomend anything I have not tried myself.

iamwrasseman
02/14/2009, 02:39 PM
unfortunatly that is a possibility with the crustations ,i have heard of thier losses and i have treated with interceptor with no loss at all . it goes both ways as far as the die off is concerned but i used a minimal dose in my tanks and had no ill effects .i have heard of doses much higher than mine and that may be the real factor in the death of the crustations. i would not recomend interceptor at this point but rather getting peramiters correct and stable ,less light and less flow and possiably a good feeding may help them .

Jsin
02/14/2009, 05:45 PM
Ok thanks for the suggestions guys

iamwrasseman
02/14/2009, 05:59 PM
good luck dude

SoulFish
02/28/2009, 01:22 AM
think this is what I may have in my tank, any picts of it or links?