PDA

View Full Version : reusing old dried up live rock?

Eastside S-13s
02/14/2009, 12:44 PM
I have 20 pounds of old live rock that has been dry for years. I am setting up a new reef tank and would like to use this as base rock. I have searched but failed to find exactly what I need to do as far as cleaning this.

Do i simply hose and scrub it or does it need to be soaked and or bleached. If the later, what is a good method. Thanks in advance.

BLKTANG
02/14/2009, 12:49 PM
scrub it with ro water,& put it in the reef with some cured LR,& let the tank cycle,OR get a trash can put the rock in it,& a heater,& a PH,fill it with NSW,& change 5g @ the 2 week mark.You could also put a nice sized piece of the cured LR in the can with the base rock.

BLKTANG
02/14/2009, 12:50 PM
O &

[welcome]

Aquarist007
02/14/2009, 12:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14394574#post14394574 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Eastside S-13s
I have 20 pounds of old live rock that has been dry for years. I am setting up a new reef tank and would like to use this as base rock. I have searched but failed to find exactly what I need to do as far as cleaning this.

Do i simply hose and scrub it or does it need to be soaked and or bleached. If the later, what is a good method. Thanks in advance.

if just starting your tank then put it in the tank along with some live rock from the LFS and let it start the bacteria cycling in the display tank where you need it to happen.
Dry base rock will become live with bacteria again--it just can take alot longer then live rock to cycle so allow more time for the cycling process