PDA

View Full Version : Zeospur2 = Copper?

damura
02/14/2009, 03:33 PM
Hi all,

As a part of my effort to reach better colors i want to start using Zeospur2. I have a very low nutrient system with nice colors. From what i have read i can get better colors with this substance. From what i know, the way it works is by killing the Zooxanthalae in the coral therefore exposing the coral's tissue which is colorful.
I have read a scientific article about the influence of copper and Zinc on Zoo. reproduction, apparently it slows down the rep. rate dramatically.

My questions to all of you who have used it:
did you test it for Copper?
did some of you have adverse effects?

Reefer Steve
02/14/2009, 05:03 PM
I have been wondering the same as well. FWIW it looks just like all the copper medications for fish that ive seen at my LFS.

reef_doug
02/14/2009, 05:57 PM
There are reports that it does contain a trace of copper and other metals. I've used it at regular dosage (1ml p/25gal) and no problems with shrimp or starfish. It is strong and can really lighten corals to pastel levels. I rarely use it since I prefer B-Balance over the Spur2.

damura
02/15/2009, 04:28 AM
The question is whether you get the same results with B-Balance

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/15/2009, 09:45 AM
I do not think that you can usefully detect copper at the low levels in reef tanks unless you submit it for lab analysis. Kits do not test low enough. Even with lab testing, it is not possible to know from a detected level how bioavailable it is, and so knowing whether the tank is better off with more or less is still not trivial.

Genetics
02/15/2009, 09:47 AM
What is B balance?

damura
02/15/2009, 10:52 AM
Hi Randy,

I meant testing a sample directly from the Zeospur2 bottle to see the amounts of copper in it. Look at the following article, very interesting:

http://coralreef.nus.edu.sg/publications/pub06.pdf

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/15/2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the link. I personally wouldn't want to make certain corals more artificially colorful by adding copper, if that could risk the health of other inverts. I do not know if that is the intent, but it sounds decidedly undesirable, IMO, if that is the intent.

damura
02/15/2009, 12:44 PM
I would be happy to have KZ response on this issue, but will also be happy to hear from more hobbyist who are using it.
Good or Bad...

miwoodar
02/15/2009, 01:53 PM
Here is what KZ would probably say...

"______________"

Heinz
02/15/2009, 02:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14400567#post14400567 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by damura
I would be happy to have KZ response on this issue, but will also be happy to hear from more hobbyist who are using it.
Good or Bad...
here is what G.Alexander/KZ responded
Yes, Spur2 does contain copper ions beside several other trace elements. I have used it on my last tank for 5 years regular with any negative or accumulating effect. The additive works best in a nutrient poor environment and if used like described in the guide it will not cause trouble. Just keep the recommended dosing break and do not use more then 1 ml / 25 US gallons. Start slow as described in the guide if you like to give it a try. Copper is a regular trace element which is present in natural seawater also.

HighlandReefer
02/15/2009, 03:00 PM
What is the natural level of copper in the ocean reefs (average) compared to what is found in (average) reef salts?

billsreef
02/15/2009, 03:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14401284#post14401284 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HighlandReefer
What is the natural level of copper in the ocean reefs (average) compared to what is found in (average) reef salts?

Considerably more in our mixes than in NSW. To the point that the idea that any needs to be added as a trace element is ludicrous. Towards the bottom of this (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/rs/feature/index.php) article is a chart showing some trace element compositions of several salt mixes and NSW. The data is taken from an old study, but I doubt even if the mixes have changed, that they have reduced copper concentrations significantly when compared to NSW.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/15/2009, 07:44 PM
FWIW, my tank has more copper in it (~13 ppb last I tested) than does IO salt mix (less than 10 ppb in my testing), despite that being the only salt I used to that point. So IMO, food additions and other additions dominate even over salt mixes.

I'm not sure if I have too much or not, but I would probably prefer to see it go lower rather than go higher. :)

Icefire
02/15/2009, 10:02 PM
RAndy Why try to fix what is working ? :P

damura
02/16/2009, 01:25 PM
Guys let me go back and remind everyone the reason i opened this post in first place:

Please share your personal experience with Zeospur2. We can talk about Zeospur2 and the possible influence of copper as much as we want but at the end of the day, sharing personal experience is what this forum is all about.

Thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/16/2009, 03:33 PM
To be fair, this particular forum (the Reef Chemistry Forum) is not really about personal experience. It is about science. Part of science is experience for sure. But there is more to it than that. :)