PDA

View Full Version : GFO or Rowaphos?

macreefster
02/15/2009, 07:33 AM
i am looking to add a phosphate reactor to my tank. i think i've narrowed it down to either Bulk Reef Supplies single reactor with their high capacity GFO or going with a ViaAqua reactor using rowaphos. the latter is less expensive, but not sure if the GFO is better or not. any suggestions would be appreciated.

HighlandReefer
02/15/2009, 08:57 AM
Are your running carbon now?

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/15/2009, 09:36 AM
the latter is less expensive

Rowaphos is less expensive?

macreefster
02/15/2009, 09:56 AM
i am just running carbon in filter bags now, but will putting it in a reactor soon.

sorry randy, i meant that the the set up with the via aqua reactor and rowa
phos is less expensive than the BRS reactor with their HC gfo.

i am new to phosphate reactors and gfo. the reactors themselves are quite simple, but i am not sure what rowaphos is exactly and if the high capacity gfo is better than it.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/15/2009, 10:06 AM
I think you'll find that regardless of the initially reactor price, rowaphos will end up costing a lot more in the long run.

I do not know if Rowaphos GFO is any better or worse than any other brand. There is no good comparative data available at the moment.

macreefster
02/15/2009, 10:10 AM
thanks randy...i would assume it doesnt matter what reactor one gets as either rowaphos or gfo (or carbon for that matter) could be run in it.

HighlandReefer
02/15/2009, 02:06 PM
BRS has a dual reactor for a little more than the regular reactor. Using a dual reactor you would not have to change out GFO & carbon at the same time.

Ncastro1981
02/15/2009, 03:01 PM
I have the single unit and run carbon and gfo. Have 0 phosphates, and had an issue before adding. Nice little system, i have mine hangingoff the front side of my sump, and the pump below the bag filter. I have to say they went the right route with materials as the filter case housing comes dirrectly from the manufacting industry. I see them used in the facility i work at and they can hold up to alot of use and abuse! Just hand tighten, dont use the wrench...theres no need we dont even use a wrench and we run close to 80 psi of coolent.

macreefster
02/15/2009, 04:10 PM
thanks highlander, i looked at the dual reactor, but the instructional video on the BRS website recommends running the carbon and gfo in separate reactors as i guess the carbon tends to accumulate debri causing the flow through the reactors to slow down which might lead to the gfo compacting. don't know if thats a real concern or not though.

nacastro.... i agree with the quality of materials used. they look like RO/DI canisters to me and those are tough as nails. i have to ask.... a single unit divided with carbon and gfo suffices for your volume of water? it must not take much gfo. how often do you have to change it?

thanks again for all your help everyone.

Todd March
02/15/2009, 05:18 PM
After dealing with dusty dirty Rowaphos and it's fines, you can really appreciate the pelleted GFO from bulkreefsupply.com...! Someone else has a pelleted GFO as well (Two Little Fishes?)...?

Ncastro1981
02/15/2009, 05:32 PM
I use the stuff from Bulk reef supply. the high cap. GFO. I change it monthly..? I have had no issues with it hardening and dont know if i change it too often, or not enough as my phosphate levels are non-existant. I just veerified with API, then checked with salifert, then to be sure i pulled out my Lamotte kit and its as close to zero as it can be. I was around 2 before adding the reactor. My understanding from the instructoins and reading that it does not take much of the GFO. I have had issues with the other types of phosphate removing media when i have used it in a bag. I like the duel combination in single canister because the space i have is limited right now. If that was not the case then i would go with duel unit.

macreefster
02/15/2009, 05:41 PM
thanks so much everyone..... will be ordering BRS single reactor with their HC gfo. another reef toy coming soon!