PDA

View Full Version : Lighting my 400g 36" deep upgrade tank

LouDogDaddy
02/15/2009, 10:11 AM
Hello to all...

I have read through a good bit the blogs and I appreciate the information. RC just saved me $5K because I was contemplating Solaris LED... Whew....

I do have a question on which light would be the best to grow clams and sps all the way down to 36" (the wife gave me the OK to do the new tank but she wants a deep tank... so I want to get lights, etc. on orer before she changes her mind). Tank dim 84L x 30W x 36T. I want to go with the best to compensate for lack of skill so I was looking at either using 3 Sfiligoi Infinity XR6 or going with AquaIllumination LED.

Other options are totally welcomed...

Kind Regards,
Lou

tkeracer619
02/15/2009, 10:23 AM
I would think 4 400w halides on high end reflectors supplemented by T5 would be the way to go.

cpllongjk
02/15/2009, 10:24 AM
Ok man, for a tank that deep you have to get metal halides.

I would definately go with 250w - 400w

Whatever you do youre going to need 4 lights.

You could go with a fixture, but doing so will cost you a pretty penny.

I would go with these http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1751
Get 4 of those.

Then get 4 Ice cap metal halide ballasts. But this all depends on if you have a hood or not. These reflectors will save you money, and they will be good enough to penetrate to the bottom of your tank.

For a tank your size many will say you need 400w metal halides. But for your situation that will be alot of heat and electricity. I personally would go with 250w. Make sure you get single ended bulbs/fixtures. If you want to get actinics, then get a retrofit kit.

LouDogDaddy
02/15/2009, 12:57 PM
I am hoping to have an open top (no canopy). I was concerned about heat buildup but I will have my sump in a cool basement so I believe that heat will not be an issue.

I do worry about evaporation though. The tank will be located in an office with cherry wood walls...

JNye
02/15/2009, 01:08 PM
I would get 4 of these
http://www.reefspecialty.com/Lighting-Reflectors-%7C-Pendants/c14_28/p231/CoralVue-Lumen-Bright-Finished-SE-Pendant/product_info.html
Get 4-400 watt electronic ballasts of your choice, Lumatek, galaxy, coralvue, Ice cap and get a bulb blue enough that you won't need supplimentation, the reeflux 20k looks promising for that. Its not so aesthetic to have flourescent supplimental lighting on open top tanks.
Reef Specialty also sells complete retro kits which makes it a lot easier.
You could get away with 250 watt if you wanted, but 400 would be better for that depth.

LouDogDaddy
02/17/2009, 07:16 AM
Thanks to everyone for their input...