PDA

View Full Version : Corals in Checked luggage.

maroun.c
02/16/2009, 12:49 AM
Hi,
Anyone know if there could be any problems taking corals on flights out of the USA? Will be flying one intnernal flight then international.
Any info if there is any clearance to take? or where I can check to get a definite answer?
Its only 2-3 small frags ( 2 Bird nests and 1 ORA frag that I can't resist) that I will have in a small box in the checked luggage if quantity or size makes any difference.
Thanks for any assistance

Skunkbudfour20
02/16/2009, 02:42 AM
Make sure they are in a clear bag, and labeled well!

maroun.c
02/16/2009, 04:19 AM
Thanks.
So I just label them as "Living corals temp sensitive..." or do you mean I should just write down their scientific names on the box?
thanks.

JCJHET
02/16/2009, 05:18 AM
I would definitely call the airline for the procedure.
I would think restrictions would be different between domestic and international.

liverock
02/16/2009, 05:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14405068#post14405068 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maroun.c
Hi,
Anyone know if there could be any problems taking corals on flights out of the USA? Will be flying one intnernal flight then international.
Any info if there is any clearance to take? or where I can check to get a definite answer?
Its only 2-3 small frags ( 2 Bird nests and 1 ORA frag that I can't resist) that I will have in a small box in the checked luggage if quantity or size makes any difference.
Thanks for any assistance

Only something called

CITIES

google it....

stevekellner
02/16/2009, 05:52 AM
Call the airlines. Rules vary not only with airlines but also with your destination, in case travel is international.

macreefster
02/16/2009, 06:33 AM
good luck taking live corals out of the country. i would think there are all sorts of permits and procedures you'd have to go through. liverock hit the nail on the head....CITIES!

maroun.c
02/16/2009, 07:37 AM
It's fine with the airlines as long as it's not exceeding my weight allowance and that my luggage size is within norms. I will be checking it in my bag anyway so that should not be a problem.
what I'm worried about is security checks and need for those permits. Being only 2-3 tiny frags on frag plugs I cannot get a CITIES as these were tank cultured. I've taken lots of corals on flights before (around 80 percent of the corals in my tank, From Germany, Holland, UAE... Allwhat was needed was the CITIES license copy of the store in case of holland and Germany as I was picking up SPS and a health certificate of fish and softies I bought in UAE. the only different thing here is that those corals were tank cultured so I doubt I can get a CITIES for them.
I checked the STA website and couldn't find anything related. Any idea wehre else to check?
Thanks

tigereye37
02/16/2009, 09:18 AM
Are you leaving the US or entering the US with the corals? Have you ever flown internationally before? You have to sign paperwork stating that you are not carrying any fruits, plants, vegetables, animals, etc...........

liverock
02/16/2009, 10:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14405817#post14405817 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maroun.c
It's fine with the airlines as long as it's not exceeding my weight allowance and that my luggage size is within norms. I will be checking it in my bag anyway so that should not be a problem.
what I'm worried about is security checks and need for those permits. Being only 2-3 tiny frags on frag plugs I cannot get a CITIES as these were tank cultured. I've taken lots of corals on flights before (around 80 percent of the corals in my tank, From Germany, Holland, UAE... Allwhat was needed was the CITIES license copy of the store in case of holland and Germany as I was picking up SPS and a health certificate of fish and softies I bought in UAE. the only different thing here is that those corals were tank cultured so I doubt I can get a CITIES for them.
I checked the STA website and couldn't find anything related. Any idea wehre else to check?
Thanks

Bro

It is ILLEGAL to take ANY corals out of the US....without a CITIES permit....do you want to risk the wrath of US Fish and Wildlife?

And yes you can get a CITIES permit, and must do so to avoid ramifications...usually take a few months and ends up costing a few hundred bucks, by the time you get done with the fees and the Fish and wildlife inspection fees.....been there...done that!

maroun.c
02/16/2009, 06:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14406297#post14406297 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tigereye37
Are you leaving the US or entering the US with the corals? Have you ever flown internationally before? You have to sign paperwork stating that you are not carrying any fruits, plants, vegetables, animals, etc...........

Leaving the US. Yes I do fly internationally 5-6 times per month.

maroun.c
02/16/2009, 06:24 PM
It is ILLEGAL to take ANY corals out of the US....without a CITIES permit....do you want to risk the wrath of US Fish and Wildlife?

In that case guess I'll skip it.
Just for the info as you've done it before, do yo uhave to get a license to export corals yourself or is just a copy of the CITIS license that the shop owner has usually needed. as usually I get a copy of the license they have to import corals which proves that this coral was purchased. Guess the difference is that in the other countries I buy corals from they just don't have any corals in their sea...
thanks for all the replies.

liverock
02/16/2009, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14410324#post14410324 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maroun.c
Just for the info as you've done it before, do yo uhave to get a license to export corals yourself or is just a copy of the CITIS license that the shop owner has usually needed. as usually I get a copy of the license they have to import corals which proves that this coral was purchased. Guess the difference is that in the other countries I buy corals from they just don't have any corals in their sea...
thanks for all the replies. [/QUOTE

Best idea!

Since CITIES ....dealing in corals is tough..transporting them is worse

I did not want to rain on your parade...but rather to educate...I am on the front line here and only wish to help you !

Richard T S

good luck

sedgro
02/16/2009, 08:10 PM
Its CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) not "CITIES".

www.cites.org

maroun.c
02/16/2009, 11:36 PM
I did not want to rain on your parade...but rather to educate...I am on the front line here and only wish to help you !

I'm sure you do and did not suspect the opposite at all.
Thanks for your help

liverock
02/17/2009, 08:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14410324#post14410324 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maroun.c
thanks for all the replies.

Each shipment requires its own CITES permit.....is a real pain...I used to do it all the time, but the process has become so convoluted...it is not worth the effort, and the costs have skyrocketed.

I have seen whole containers of live rock confiscated by F&W for having ONE little coral polyp on one rock out of 3200#, because there was no cities permit for that coral.

And to make matters more complicated most countries require and "exit" CITES permit from the originating country, and an "entry" CITIES permit for the receiving country.

Years ago I used to ship containers of live rock to Germany, Holland, Iceland.....all that was required was a 3-11 form, cost $25.....but that was WAY back in the day....

and if the country is a member of CITES...which most are...having an ocean or not, they are bound by the agreement...

Richard TBS