PDA

View Full Version : rainsford goby

laffinlin
02/16/2009, 08:26 AM
I have a rainsford goby now in quarantine for 3 weeks and 3 days. He seem to be doing ok still a little thin. I don't have a sand bed in the quarantine. I see him picking alot and I am sure when I feed him live hatched brine that he eats it. I have not given him any medicine for any kind infections (I don't see anything on him that indicates any bug, bacteria, or fungus) I did notice a long string last week of waste. Do you thing I should put something in the water for any parasite or bacteria as a precaution? Also do you think he would do better in my main tank with a sand bed and live rock? Thanks for all your help

cas
02/16/2009, 08:48 AM
You can put in a container of sand in the QT and toss if you use any meds. I do not know anything about Gobies, but did you treat for internal parisites?

laffinlin
02/16/2009, 09:22 AM
No I haven't treated for anything.

Paul B
02/16/2009, 09:32 AM
They will eat baby brine but they won't live on just that. They eat algae and cyano and pick "crud" off the rocks. If you have a rock in your tank with some growth on it, I would add it.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/urchsearch/BumblebeeGobi040.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/urchsearch/BumblebeeGobi026.jpg

laffinlin
02/16/2009, 03:46 PM
Ok good idea. What about treating it for any parasites or bacteria. Do you think it is necessary if it is doing ok?

Paul B
02/16/2009, 06:09 PM
No do not put anything in the tank for paracites or bacteria.
lack of bacteria in it's intestinal tract is one cause.
If you can get it some algae or cyano or old live rock to pick at, it will do better. They do not do well in a quarantine tank for that reason. They are basically herbivores and have trouble dijesting only brine shrimp which is a carnivore's diet.
If you ate nothing but meat, you would poop like that also
EWWWEE

laffinlin
02/16/2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks alot for the info.

wilcalil
02/16/2009, 09:32 PM
Actually he does eat of the micro life on algae at rocks, pumps, glass.

It's a hard to keep fish.

CharlieProLine
02/16/2009, 10:13 PM
They eat algae and cyano and pick "crud" off the rocks.

How much do they eat Cyano? Could they be used to help control red cyano? Or do they just pick at it and mostly eat other algea?

Are Hector gobies pretty much the same?

Paul B
02/17/2009, 05:51 AM
My tank always has a little cyano and although he eats it continousely, they are a small fish and could not be used to control anything.

superfirefly
02/17/2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks for confirming this Paul. I have a Rainfords as well and always see him eating the cyano in my tank and as you mentioned he will not consume enough to make it disappear. I was always afraid to say anything because I thought people would think I was crazy if I said my fish ate cyano. It is the only thing I really see him eat.

Paul B
02/17/2009, 11:40 AM
I was always afraid to say anything because I thought people would think I was crazy if I said my fish ate cyano.

People think I am crazy no matter what I say. :D
I refrain from saying a lot of things on here or they would put me away with my ideas :lol: