PDA

View Full Version : 1st tank lima ohio

MAYHEM_AUDIO
02/16/2009, 10:31 AM
my tank is a 47gal corner
it is a pentagon (5 sided) tank that mesaures 22*22* 13*13*13 base height did not check sorry
front stand is a little bigger but not much

i have a heater that will handel a 70gal
i have a fluvel 404 canister filter
i have a backup fluvel 303 canister filter
tank lid/top can handel 2 18" fixtures
i have 1 18" light and i built 1 18" led panel that holds 70 led's

built my own stand so it does not look cheap and has extra supports

i also live in lima ohio so any local people maybe can help

I Got The Tank Due To Layout Of Room It Will Be In.
I Am Not Wanting To Get Rid Of I Will Have A Larger Tank Some Day When I Move But That Is Not For A While

THIS IS THE TANKS ON THE STAND I BUILT
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/MAYHEM_AUDIO/0103092113.jpg

........................................(--------------------------)
(--)THIS SECTION IS A DOOR WITH SUPORT POLE INSIDE NICE LARGE OPENING

i'm going to use my canister fluvel 404 and get a pump and do a close loop i dont want a lot of power heads stuck all over the glass
so i will have 3 or 4 diffrent points of water movement

new plans:
i am going to do a deep sand bed with live sand due to est bacteria
and about 60-70lb of liver rock witch is 1.27-1.5 lbs per gal
closed loop system
think i am going to get a mh light
is 27.65 turn over per hour good or to much
if thats good i need a pump that will do 960 gph for my closed loop
any sugestions on pumps
i am also intrested in ideas and sugestions
prob going to get lr at saltwaterfish.com cause it is a good deal
who else has bought it off there input
i dont want to get the lr at lfs cause it looks like crap
it is trud brown w/ no growth and they want 6.99 per lb and all small peices

-matt glad to be here

MAYHEM_AUDIO
02/16/2009, 10:32 AM
it will have a black backgrond also not the greek it was going to fw water but wanted to do salt instead

drparker
02/16/2009, 11:33 AM
[welcome]
For the closed loop I would drill the sides of the tank and use bulkheads. You did great work with the stand so you should find drilling the sides pretty easy. Ehiem pumps are good quality and are pretty quite also. With the LR and DSB you don't need any additional bio-filtration so what are you planning to place in the canister?

drparker
02/16/2009, 11:37 AM
Here's a good thread on drilling holes in tanks. I've done it several times, no problems.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=603816

MAYHEM_AUDIO
02/16/2009, 12:08 PM
tank said it can not be drilled so i was going to run a suction line over the back will that work

drparker
02/16/2009, 12:11 PM
Yes a line over the back can work. Typically only the bottom is tempered and can't be drilled. Who's the manufacturer of the tank?

MAYHEM_AUDIO
02/16/2009, 06:50 PM
marineland
only bottem is tempered i could drill side back how high

MAYHEM_AUDIO
01/20/2010, 07:39 AM
its been a year and i ended up going to fw and now decided o go back to my original plan of salt water.. due to some life changes i will have extra time and can dedicate time and money toward tank
i will keep some new updates as we go
update 1 it will have a 10 gal sump under stand
update to i will prob keep the canister and fill it with live rock rubble and just use it for close loop
glad to be back

jsharp1
01/20/2010, 07:49 AM
Hi there, I'm from around the WPAFB area. Welcome, you'll like this site, everyone is very helpful:) Have you ever been to Gerber's Saltwater Warehouse? Their located in Moraine and they have awesome LR to choose from. So you might wanna check them out. So far thats the best place I have found around here. I think there are a few places in Centerville, Aquariums Etc (not sure if it's still there are not?) It's a small locally owned shop and from what I remember (6 years ago) they had limited hours cause the guy that owned it still worked a full time job so they were only open evenings and weekends. But great place if they are still around. Helps if you are on a budget cause they sell used equipment (or used to). Anyways, good luck!

~Jen

MAYHEM_AUDIO
01/22/2010, 01:50 PM
thanks jen
i have another update already
i found a deal on a tank on craigslist
40 gal tank stand canopy filter light 40lbs tonga live rock
chruch coral bottom i clown fish heater power head 200 buck

bradjenny
01/23/2010, 01:27 AM
hey i am from near van wert i buy most of my stuff from jacks aquarium. i have a fluval 405. i am unsure if it will be able to handle my 90 gallon tank. i know it says up to 100 gallons.

jsharp1
01/23/2010, 10:13 AM
sounds like a good deal mayhem! I too have been looking on craigslist for stuff to upgrade my tank. You can find some pretty good deals on there.

MAYHEM_AUDIO
01/24/2010, 01:30 AM
I am still

MAYHEM_AUDIO
01/24/2010, 01:33 AM
i am still goint to build the corner tack as well i built a 10 gal sump for it today
it dont take long to get addicted lol i just hate haveing to wait to save up extra cash bills first then toys and hobbies :-) i am prob going to build an acrylic sump for the 40 gal if i dont find a good deal on a bigger tank else where i bought the 40 mostly for the rock but i like it it makes me smile