PDA

View Full Version : Alternate "Egg crate"

CloruroDiSodio
02/16/2009, 11:10 AM
Hi gang,

I know some people use the eggcrate lighting grid to protect the tank bottom. So basically the live rock and sand go on top of the eggcrate layer which is laid directly on the bottom. Wouldn't a sheet of acrylic cut to size work much better than eggcrate if you are only using it for glass protection? With all of the weight of rock and water I would think the gap between tank bottom and acrylic sheet would be next to nothing so no water or critters should get trapped. I've been thinking of doing this with my 180gal glass tank setup Any thoughts?

kraze3
02/16/2009, 11:14 AM
It should work fine. Ive seen barebottom tanks with starboard on the bottom to keep the rock off the glass,Its basically the same concept

CloruroDiSodio
02/16/2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks, I may go this route then. I think with two thin layers (as opposed to one thick layer) of acrylic you would have nice impact resistant protection for the glass.

CDS

kraze3
02/16/2009, 11:31 AM
If your going to have a sand bed that will stop any LR from hitting the glass. I placed my LR on the bottom of the tank and then filled the sand in around it. This way no borrowing cirtters or fish can dig under the rock causing any of it to topple over. If you have a sand bed, especially a deep sand bed and u drop a rock the sand will obsorb impact.

CloruroDiSodio
02/16/2009, 11:36 AM
Hi kraze3. That's right, I planned on putting the rock down, then the sand around it. I am going for a shallow bed however (about an inch). I wanted to try and get away with not gluing any of the rocks together if I could. This way I'd be able to clean easier and move landscape around if any bullying persisted. But not gluing anything would make me a little nervous with just the glass and shallow sand bed.

monotreme_man
02/16/2009, 01:42 PM
i am faced with teh same problem and was going to use
a method mentioned on these forums, namely glueing
pvc legs ont the rocks that would rest on the bottom.
this avoids dead spots where teh rock compresses teh sand.

this has teh advantages of avoiding scratching the bottom and allowing
free rein to sifters. the sand should protect from falling rocks.

Amoore311
02/16/2009, 02:51 PM
Even with the rock on top of the acrylic, you will get detritus under the there.

Starboard you can attach to the bottom glass with silicone.

I'm going to trying acrylic rod "feet" for my rocks when I get to working on my 180 gallon.

texhorns98
02/16/2009, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't line the bottom with eggcrate if you're going to have a sand bed. I would think sand would get trapped down in the "squares" and end up being a nightmare, since none of your CUC would be able to get to it.