PDA

View Full Version : what's in your emergency/maintenance kit?

Sk8r
02/16/2009, 04:44 PM
Thought it might be helpful to give you a look into a long-time reefer's closet:
Here's what I have, and it's a good thing to have. Mine's (at least the little pieces) in a little decorative chest right near the sump.
1. test kits: alk, cal, mg. Ammonia/nitrate test strips.
2. spare pieces from older test kits, in case I lose a syringe nozzle, say.
3. small box of women's knee-high nylons (why? they make good carbon bags.) Can also be used as emergency tie to secure a hose.
4. carbon
5. nitrile exam gloves.
6. reef putty
7. I-C-Gel
8. spare plumbing parts and bits of hose: you never know. Have I got a 1/2 hose clamp or a 1-inch hose barb? You bet your tank on it! Over a lifetime you accumulate a lot.
9. ph meter (almost never used.)
10. refractometer (used weekly)
11. spare heater. It'll work in a pinch.
12. several maxijet pumps in various states of repair, 400, 600, 1200. 1200's are the most useful, because they'll lift water from floor to tank.
13. a net. I don't use them, but just now and again, you could need one.
12. spare lighting (eggcrate) grid, spare plastic needlepoint canvas, spare gutter guard.
13. a gallon of vinegar. White vinegar. Run your nasty-looking gear in that overnight and it'll look like new. doesn't hurt the tank.
14. paper towels.
15. a big stack of real towels.
16. spare airhose, a bubbler, an airpump---if ever needed.
17. spare return pump. I fixed an old one. It'd keep me alive if it had to.
18. supplements: dkh buffer, Kent Turbo Calcium, Kent Tech M (mg.) I drip Kalk, and you don't need it often, but when you need it you need it.
19. spare electrical bits and bobs, incl. adapter.
20. carpet knife, scissors and duct tape.
21. spare buckets. No reefer ever has enough towels or enough clean buckets.
22. bulldog clips: good for keeping lines in place if not exposed to salt water.
23. Schweppes Bar Sodawater. (If you have a ph spike due to kalk, this can tame it.)
24. dedicated measuring cup; salt measure for 5 g, marked; and measuring spoons.
25. printed instructions for my tanksitter in case of emergency---if I'm called away unexpectedly.
26. MY LOGBOOK...the book of truth, not wishful thinking. ;) What I REALLY did to my tank....

Everybody's is different, but these are mine. I hope you find some good ideas in here for your own.

drparker
02/16/2009, 05:28 PM
Great list! I also keep the supplies I need to quickly throw up a QT/Hospital tank.

10 and 20 gal tanks.
air driven sponge filter
little hang on back filter
heater
powerhead

I'll use the sponge on the outflow from the skimmer to seed the QT tank's bacteria colony.

kittyj
02/16/2009, 09:02 PM
Battery operated air pump and an inverter I can hook up to my car in the event of a power outage.

thegrun
02/16/2009, 09:28 PM
A Sham-Wow

Sk8r
02/16/2009, 11:07 PM
LOL. I prefer towels.

CorkPullerPHL
02/16/2009, 11:20 PM
+ 1 on the Sham Wow.

Ok, not really. . . but it's late, and that is hilarious.

...sorry for the worthless post.

chatyak
02/17/2009, 02:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14411929#post14411929 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thegrun
A Sham-Wow

hahahaha

What about the headpiece microphone to radio in the nearest lfs?

epstein
02/17/2009, 07:10 AM
Portable Generator....(obvious reasons)..or a 1000w ...power inverter.....100 ft extension cord with multiple outlets (in case you lose power in part of your house and need to access another plug).....Bottle of Jack Daniels for when THE CRISIS has bee averted

Nanz
02/17/2009, 08:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14411929#post14411929 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thegrun
A Sham-Wow

+1, Those towels are great!

kel2682
02/17/2009, 08:15 AM
Great piece of info....also Im sure most do but I keep about 15 gallons of fresh Ro/Di on hand besides my top off....(about 1/2 my water volume)
Thanks Sk8r always useful tips

Sk8r
02/17/2009, 09:40 AM
yep, add me to that list: I have a basement sump, so I keep a barrel of ro/di---and one very important backup: a barrel of salt.

NEVER get caught without salt in the house! That's one thing you can't get at the supermarket on New Year's Eve!

And a packet of polyfilter (for when your 3-year-old nephew or a drunken guest tosses the TV remote into your tank)

MrsHaggis
02/17/2009, 10:03 AM
21. spare buckets. No reefer ever has enough towels or enough clean buckets.

Oh so true!!! We NEVER have enough buckets and we have bought another 4 since starting this hobby. Big buckets, medium buckets, small buckets. Buckets for the RO water, buckets for the reject water (we top up our swimming pool with it), buckets to make salt water, buckets to remove water, buckets to hold the water you will put in the tank, spare RO water buckets......I could go on and on but I have a stack of towels I need to wash!!!!

NirvanaFan
02/17/2009, 11:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14409599#post14409599 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r

25. printed instructions for my tanksitter in case of emergency---if I'm called away unexpectedly.

I go one step further... Laminate the instructions.

They're gonna get wet. If not by me, by whoever is watching the tank when I'm gone.