PDA

View Full Version : controllers?

devgru
02/17/2009, 07:36 AM
i have been contemplating purchasing a ACIII setup.i just received an email from marinedepot that has the ACjr on sale.
im now thinking of buying this and playing with it to see if i might want the ACIII.plus i can save $75 as it includes a DC8 for $220 kit.

i see at the bottom of the page a reefkeeper lite.the prices are comparable to ACjr and accessories are about the same except they dont have a 8 outlet strip

anybody have experience with the reefkeeper?can it program like the AC's?

tank o tang
02/17/2009, 07:59 AM
After doing some reading I just ordered a ReefKeeper Elite. Looks that has more options/expandibility for the buck. Reefkeepers plug strips are 4 plugs instead of 8 now.

Harry_Fish
02/17/2009, 08:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14414142#post14414142 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tank o tang
After doing some reading I just ordered a ReefKeeper Elite. Looks that has more options/expandibility for the buck. Reefkeepers plug strips are 4 plugs instead of 8 now.

I am in the same the thought.

I'm planning on replacing my Profilux with an ReefKeeper Elite.

I read up on the AC line and the ReefKeeper Elite just
seems to have more options for what I want.

The prices on the accesories are pretty good as well.

Good Luck

tank o tang
02/17/2009, 08:50 AM
Champion Lighting has 10% off till end of today. Couldn't find a better deal.

Harry_Fish
02/17/2009, 09:01 AM
Thank you

devgru
02/18/2009, 01:21 AM
i was on the digital aquatics site trying to get info on their controllers.as for the lite they didnt have too much info yet.

i did notice a new module coming out that adds a 2nd pH port and a salinity port,is this for the elite only or will it work on the lite as well?

woodwrangler
02/18/2009, 09:08 AM
There is a lot of information in the DA section here on RC, including this thread discussing the release of the Lite;
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1536566

DA site regarding Lite information;
http://www.digitalaquatics.com/m_product_info.php?part_number=30-0012-001

And even more information on DA's site;
http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewforum.php?f=34&sid=7ac7185cc2cb2489a715e189da57e623

The Lite is not compatible with the salinity module. That module (RKM-SL2) is for the RKE. The RKL can, however, "interface with up to 4 modules in almost any configuration you'd like. (Limited to PC4s, SL1s and MLCs)", therefore having the ability to add another PH probe.

Harry_Fish
02/18/2009, 09:12 AM
Personaly I would get the ReefKeeper Elite as you may want
the extra features in the future, so in the long run you will save $$$.

devgru
02/18/2009, 10:18 AM
thanks guys.i was originally looking at the ACIII as i could get a setup for $520.and the programming looked simple,sort of.the RKE is roughtly same price,altho they only support 4 outlets on a strip so that will raise the overall cost a bit(@ $90 a strip).

i dont see a diss. Oxy or conductivity capability tho.am i missing something?and for connection to my network i would need to buy the NET module?(another $100)

ive been on the DA site researching but the user manual isnt to specific on programming.is it menu driven setup or line programming.

for the most part im looking for how i can upgrade in the future.
i just want basics for now(pH and temp mon/control,lighting,ATO and salinity)

future plans would include auto water changes,mon/controlling my prop tank.

it seems to be more cost efficient to buy the ACIII and just add a pinpoint salinity.as opposed to having to buy x2-4 4way strips,NET module,and the module that incorporates salinity(still have to buy a probe as well)

i might just get the ACjr for now and see what controllers come out in the future.

thanks again

woodwrangler
02/18/2009, 10:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14423329#post14423329 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by devgru
i might just get the ACjr for now and see what controllers come out in the future.

Not to call you out, but, I thought you already owned the ACjr, as stated in the Neptunes forum?

If so, and if it were me, I'd send that thing in to DA towards the Elite.

devgru
02/18/2009, 11:18 AM
you are somewhat correct and no harm no foul...

i had purchased the jr from a local store here in maitland and never opened it as my tank is down for reconstruction.i returned it as i needed the money for a skimmer because mine broke by taking a fall off my workbench.he took it back towards a skimmer minus 10%fee.it was never opened.

now that my taxes are done and im getting back just over $2100,im wanting to get a controller.the original purchase of the jr was kind of an impulse thing and did not put alot of thought into it.now as i wait for my return direct deposit,im trying to do more research before i purchase another one.

once again,no harm no foul.

DaveMorris
02/18/2009, 11:19 AM
If you buy the RKL you will be able to accomplish the basic things that you want right now. All of the modules for the RKL are the same as the modules for the RKE. You would be able to upgrade to an RKE in the future and still use the modules that you get with the RKL system. As far as conductivity and ORP goes, ORP is already part of the SL1 module and they haven't announced anything about a conductivity probe. I am sure that if enough people ask for it, they will produce one.

Programming on the RKL and RKE systems is a very simple, menu-driven thing. That is a big plus.

devgru
02/18/2009, 11:23 AM
thanks Dave,when looking at the PDF manual it seemed as if it were menu prigramming but wasnt sure.there are a couple of modules that are not supportedby the lite.however i do like the buyback /upgrade program.you would think that more companies would also be doing this to help customers upgrade to thier controllers.

the one module im thinking of in particular is the SL2? which has salinity probe port.and the NET i think is RKE only,but not 100%

thanks again Dave.

DaveMorris
02/18/2009, 04:24 PM
The SL2 does have the salinity probe and both it and the NET module will not work with the RKL. The SL1, PC4, and MLC do work with the RKL and if you upgrade in the future, any of those modules that you bought for the RKL will work on the RKE.

BLANKENSHIP76
02/18/2009, 04:56 PM
Other than the aesethics what about the Lighthouse controllers, they seem to have a lot of functionality with web control right out of the box.

unbreakable
02/18/2009, 05:12 PM
Went with the basic RKE and an extra PC4, I already have a pH probe and the temp probe isnt too much. Ill upgrade little by little later, but for now itll do everything i want it to. 299+90+shipping. I was originally going for the RKL, but I felt like i was missing out on so many things compared to the RKE

I would save some extra cash and put it towards the RKE for sure

Harry_Fish
02/18/2009, 07:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14426238#post14426238 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BLANKENSHIP76
Other than the aesethics what about the Lighthouse controllers, they seem to have a lot of functionality with web control right out of the box.

The look nice, but I truly feel The RKE is about to take the lead.

8BALL_99
02/18/2009, 07:48 PM
I've got an AC3 and I love it.. It already comes with Eithernet connection and built in webpage. I can sit on my couch and program it or just check on the tank via my laptop. From what I've read on the RKE I don't really see why you would pay more for it. The AC3 seems to come with more features for less money. I also have Tunze power heads so I use a Aqua surf.

devgru
02/19/2009, 12:18 AM
im not sold on the lighthouse at all.

im still torn between the ACIII or RKE.i like the built in NET/WEB on the ACIII.

and i also like the salinity on the RKE

the control strips are a toss-up.DC8 $150.PC4's $90($180 for 8 total)

RKE seems to have wider upgrading for the future,if they follow thru.ACIII hasnt had any new upgrades for awhile.

i dont know guys,im still on the fence but leaning towards the RKE.i wont have my direct deposit for another week or two so i still have time to decide.

anyone heard anything about the 'old' recycled wireless controller.i remember reading about it awhile back,still have an extra Linksys lying around:)

DaveMorris
02/19/2009, 01:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14427648#post14427648 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 8BALL_99
I've got an AC3 and I love it.. It already comes with Eithernet connection and built in webpage. I can sit on my couch and program it or just check on the tank via my laptop. From what I've read on the RKE I don't really see why you would pay more for it. The AC3 seems to come with more features for less money. I also have Tunze power heads so I use a Aqua surf.

Well, for one thing, the RKE doesn't cost more than the AC3. When you compare the two, and I have numerous times, they are within a few bucks of each other, depending on where you get them. The only thing that the RKE lacks that the AC3 has is control software and Tunze control. I don't, and never will, own Tunze powerheads, so I don't care about that. As far as controlling the tank, that is coming. The RKE hasn't even been out for one year and it takes time to develop a lot of these things. When the AC3 was first released, was it released with all of the add on modules and devices? I think when the RKE has been on the market as long as the AC3 has, it will be a night and day difference. The expandability of the RKE system is truly mind boggling. It is also way more cost effective to do it the way DA is going.

I do have to admit that the app for the iPhone to access the AC3 is really cool.

devgru
02/19/2009, 03:17 AM
iphone app is v.cool,too bad i have a blackberry :(

Harry_Fish
02/19/2009, 09:53 AM
I have tunze pumps, so I called Neptune....

What they told me was that the Tunze module they have
basically controls it in two states IE: 0 and 75%.

I can do that now with the voltage selector on the bottom
of the Tunze power supply, so why would I buy that???

So for me The RKE does what I need it to Plus since the Lighting
module will ramp up and down it should just be a matter of time
until they have a working Tunze module that does it right.

8BALL_99
02/19/2009, 12:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14431799#post14431799 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Harry_Fish
I have tunze pumps, so I called Neptune....

What they told me was that the Tunze module they have
basically controls it in two states IE: 0 and 75%.

I can do that now with the voltage selector on the bottom
of the Tunze power supply, so why would I buy that???

So for me The RKE does what I need it to Plus since the Lighting
module will ramp up and down it should just be a matter of time
until they have a working Tunze module that does it right.

Uhh you talked to the wrong guy or he was high.. The Aqua surf does everything the Tunze controller does but more.. Infact Tunze released a new controller that has the same features as the Aqua Surf has had.. You can adjust your Tunze powers 0-100% you can also adjust the pulse within .1 seconds.. You also can have multiple profiles allowing you to run the Pumps at different settings at either different times of day or during different tank conditions. IE if your Ph or orb drops use profile where your pumps pulse faster or the output % is increased. It does anything you could want with a Tunze stream.

Thats my point the AC3 Does more for the same money. Also saying once the RKE has been around awhile they will surpass Neptune is just speculation. The AC3 is expandable also by modules, I've got one. It adds more probes and more digital inputs. I'm sure they could add what ever else they wanted. Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking the RK since I dont own one I have no idea. But on paper I don't see why you would pay more for it or even the same since it has less features. And the fact that its the new guy on the block is a negative to me not a positive. Neptune has stood the test of time and they have released several different controllers and options over the years. Each time getting better. I'm sure when they come up with a AC4 it will offer more features..

BTW I also have an Iphone but I owned the AC3 Before the phone :)

Harry_Fish
02/19/2009, 03:17 PM
Can they ramp up from 0-90 over a 60 second period?

devgru
02/19/2009, 03:30 PM
ok here we go.sorry i couldnt put this in excel or powerpoint etc, so bare with me.ive been trying to compare the AC's and the RKE and this is what ive come up with.

aside from RK being kinda new on the market and the AC being tried and proven here is a basiccomparison of the 3 contollers.

pH/ORP/temp are standard on the 3

pricing---
AC3 $300 pro $500
RKE $300
---winner RKE(altho the price is same for AC3,the AC3pro is $200 more and only adds slightly more expandability/features--read following)

AC3pro adds conductivity/diss oxy(nice bonus)
RKE adds salinity(* with SL2 $80.also adds add'l probe ports)
>>>winner ? AC3pro adds diss oxy-a plus
RKE requires add'l module for salinity

probe expansion--
AC's can add PX1000 for temp/pH/ORP $175
RKE adds SL1 or SL2 $70/$80
>>>winner RKE

buttons/keys---
AC's 3
RKE 11
>>>winner RKE

display---
AC3 2x16 AC3pro 4x20
RKE 128x64
>>>winner RKE

ethernet---
AC's included in units
RKE add'l $120/optinal wireless $?
>>>winner AC

contolled devices---
AC3 24 AC3pro 40
RKE 250
>>>winner RKE

outlet expansion---
AC's DC8 $150
RKE PC4x2 $180
>>>winner AC's

SW inputs on-board---
AC3 2 AC3pro 4
RKE 0
>>>winner AC

add'l inputs---
AC's I/O mudule(6) $40
RKE SL modules(2) $70/$80(but also adds probe ports as well-big plus)
>>>winner RKE

lunar simulator module---
AC's up to 5 LEDs $80
RKE up to 12? $70
>>>winner RKE

wavemaker---
AC#/AC3pro built in/add'l aquasurf(tunze only) $175
RKE built in/? no add'l module
>>>winner ?(both have at least basic wavemaking ability)$175 for aquasurf to control Tunze only seems redundant

dimmable t5's---
AC ?(couldnt find info to support)
RKE req's ALC module ?$(only supports t5 dimmable ballasts)
>>>winner RKE

conclusion.IMO i think that the RKE stands atop as far as expandabilty(250 contolled devices/63 timers/price of modules).i have seen the AC's in setups and have been around for some good amount of years.but having done this comparison im going to be getting a RKE,2-3 PC4's,SL1, and hopefully down the line the ALC(need to find out if my ballasts are dimmable) and SL2 as well.

*note* this is just my personal opinions on winners in section.im not trying to pursuade anyone to either or.if i wanted a proven system it would be the AC.since i want expandability and functionality,im choosing the RKE and keeping my fingers crossed on reliability

Harry_Fish
02/19/2009, 05:29 PM
devgru,

Thank you for the Info

woodwrangler
02/19/2009, 05:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14434303#post14434303 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by devgru
outlet expansion---
AC's DC8 $150
RKE PC4x2 $180
>>>winner AC's

While the AC may have 8 outlets available compared to the 4 outlets on a RK, both are only rated to 15 total amps. So, when you purchase a second PC4 to equal the 8 outlets, you are now able to have 30 amps available as compared to the 15 on the DC8. (The (2) PC4's would have to be plugged in to separate house circuits)

Another question regarding the outlet strips, how are the DC8's connected to the AC, and at what range? Unless I'm mistaken, the RKM-PC4 can use a bus cable as long as 100' to connect to the main unit?

Harry_Fish
02/19/2009, 05:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14435204#post14435204 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by woodwrangler
While the AC may have 8 outlets available compared to the 4 outlets on a RK, both are only rated to 15 total amps. So, when you purchase a second PC4 to equal the 8 outlets, you are now able to have 30 amps available as compared to the 15 on the DC8. (The (2) PC4's would have to be plugged in to separate house circuits)

Another question regarding the outlet strips, how are the DC8's connected to the AC, and at what range? Unless I'm mistaken, the RKM-PC4 can use a bus cable as long as 100' to connect to the main unit?

Good Points.

.... I hate that on the Profilux every thing runs back to the head, what a pain.

8BALL_99
02/19/2009, 06:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14434199#post14434199 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Harry_Fish
Can they ramp up from 0-90 over a 60 second period?

Not sure I've always had mine set to oscillate or make waves. You can adjust the on off down to the .1 second. You can also adjust the output any % you want. Both tunze and neptune recommend you don't go below 30%. Even if you turn your tunze all the way down with the factory power supply it doesn't go below about 30%. You can set the Aquasurf to do it but its suppose to be rough on the pumps.. Any prop pump for that matter.

8BALL_99
02/19/2009, 06:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14435204#post14435204 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by woodwrangler

You can get DC4 for 120 and a DC2 for 39.00. Both rated for 15amps each This would cost more though. Direct connects and use a 100' cable. If you get over 25-50 you need to use a cable with twisted wires.. Like a network cable

8BALL_99
02/19/2009, 06:38 PM
The 24 device limit on a AC3 Might be an issue for some people with multiple displays. But I dont' see how it would be a problem for most people. And the fact that the RKE supports 250 is almost useless to most of us. I have a 300, 92 and two 40 frag tanks split into two systems with their own sumps. Both systems have CA reactors, Kalk Stirrers, ATOs, Ozone generators, Heaters, Fans, Lights and Refuge lights. All controlled by two DC8s. I'll admit I wouldn't mind getting another DC8 or DC4 at some point, But I just can't see to many people if any needing much more. You also have to remember the 24 and 40 device limit doesn't include Digital inputs. You can have up to 7 expansion modules with a total of 42 Digital inputs and 16 total probes.

I will give you one thing. My only two real beefs I have with the AC3 is the display and only having 3 buttons. The 3 buttons doesn't really matter to me since I do all my programming from my laptop. But I wish the display had more lines. Since I have two systems it would be nice to see both tanks on one screen without having to hit a button. I also wish the AC had the option to have a remote screen. Since I have an equipment room and my AC3 is mounted in the display room. If I want to check on the tanks and I'm in the equipment room I have to walk into the display room. If all your stuff is stuck under you stand it won't matter.

devgru
02/19/2009, 09:23 PM
woodwrangler--yes it does help to have 2xpc4's but in order to get the 30amps your suggesting,they would have to be on seperate circuits in the main electric panel.being that code is outlets no more than 12' apart on a wall,the chances of plugging the second pc4 into an outlet not on the same circuit is not good.running individual cuircits from the main(as im doing(4 15a and 1 20a))would solve this problem.

as for your other question.like 8ball_99 states you can use twisted pair(Cat5/5e/6) to allow longer runs from head unit.
look in the Neptune sponsor forum.we tested the maximum length using Cat5e to be just under 100' still producing 100% effectiveness.going over the 100' your % drops about every 15'

as far as the distance for the RKE i only see a bus cable of 50' and not sure what protocol is for it.

8ball_99---altho 24 devices is a good number for most.im just saying having the 'ability' to have 250 is a big plus.i have a 125g DT,110g prop system,x2 20g tanks for breeding,90g softies(cycling) 30gT QT tank and x2 10g(1hospital/1 culture).eventually when i have all the equipment i want for these systems,24 doesnt cut it.40 would be good,but $200 more for the ACIII with less programming/timers/expandablity,the RKE is my choice.If the aquasurf would function on anything besides Tunze,it would sway my decision slightly.

and yes you can have 16 probes with the AC.that would be temp/pH/ORP on 4 tanks plus a conductivity and diss OXY probe.however,the DA site states that the RKE can have more "probes and inputs than any other controller"(direct quote),the total i couldnt locate however.

i havent seen a wavemaker module for the RKE which does bug me.

right at the moment im trying to do a layout as to what im looking to accomplish with monitoring/control of all my tanks which are in 2 different areas of the house.the main issue im trying to automate is my water changes.by programming pumps and float Sw's i want to be able to push 1 button and have it done automatically.

my DT tank is in living room and has a 2'x41/2' closet next to it for equipment.behind this is our master bath so i have a 'wet' wall where i can plumb into cold water supply for RO/DI and has x2 2" drain vents i can plumb water change waste into.im so tired of lugging buckets,rolling out 30' of hose pushing around 32g brute canisters.so far i think i have it layed out pretty good.

my only concern is i cant locate programming/user info for the RKE.
i had already planned programming for a AC unit until i learned about added lines for redundancy and the programming line limit.if there was an upgrade to the AC that allowed more lines of programming that would be another slight sway to a purchase.

devgru
02/19/2009, 11:00 PM
just found the RK forum...

the RKE can employ 63 modules.that being said you could hook up 63 SL1's for a total of 126 probes.

ACpro can handle 16...not even close

also with 63 modules you can have 126 SW inputs compared to AC's 42.now you cant have 126 probes AND 126 SW's.the system can only control 250...

that leaves room for a LOT of expansion...

binyang
02/20/2009, 12:21 AM
i have rk2 love it

DaveMorris
02/20/2009, 12:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14437713#post14437713 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by devgru

also with 63 modules you can have 126 SW inputs compared to AC's 42.now you cant have 126 probes AND 126 SW's.the system can only control 250...

Actually you can have 126 of each. If you actually hooked up 63 SL1's, that would give you 126 of each. On a more practical point....The maximum recommended overall length of bus cable for the RKE system is 100'. That can be made up of one PC4 hooked up to one head unit 100' apart, or 50 modules hooked up together with 2' bus cables. Obviously what would be more likely is something in between that. The bus cables are 6 pin RJ11 jacks on a non-twisted cable. Bus power and signal goes through that cable. I have been making my own cables to limit overall bus cable length. It is simple and works great. DA also sells several different lengths in addition to the assortment that comes with the different packages.

The bottom line for me is I feel that although the AC3 has some features/capabilities that the RKE does not yet have, the RKE uses a better approach with a modular design. I like how things are broken up into smaller pieces. A module for each need, essentially. Not having probe cables plugging into the head unit allow me to mount it like this:

http://www.thetechnologygroup.net/sitebuilder/images/Stand_frontRKE-429x439.jpg

The nice thing about these debates over which system is better is that DA is watching and that means that future improvements are coming. DA can benefit from whatever short comings the AC3 has and improve upon that. Both systems are excellent ways to help us keep a system beneficial to our inhabitants and help us enjoy this hobby that much more.

Harry_Fish
02/20/2009, 07:40 AM
Those pics are giving me Controller Envy

8BALL_99
02/20/2009, 11:17 AM
lol I'd love to see a setup that needed more then 16 probes. If you have even half that many systems you should really have more then one controller anyway. I wouldn't trust that many tanks to a single unit.
Even with the probes attached to the controller you can still mount them with a clean look. My controllers are either mounted on the wall or in utility cabinets I made. Again a ready made Remote display options would be nice.
On the wall
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/944495/20092255/339867828.jpg
In cabinets
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/944495/7798182/113438600.jpg
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/944495/9297409/132063177.jpg

devgru
02/20/2009, 12:37 PM
very nice setup 8ball.i wish i had a fish 'room'

i probably wouldnt ever need 16 probes anytime soon.for the moment with my setups i would like pH/temp/ORP(display),pH/temp/ORP(prop),temp(QT),temp/pH(90g)

8BALL_99
02/20/2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks I've only had the Equipment room for a few years. Its been great though. It makes everything so much easier. IMO if I were you I would cut down on the number of systems or water volumes. I have three separate systems now. The idea was to have one system a mixed reef and the other a SPS only system. I thought keeping the SPS away from the other stuff would help them out. After a few years of this I've came to the conclusion it doesn't . The larger water volume system does better period. The same corals grow better in the mixed system then in there own SPS only. I"m probably going to connect them all together and call it a day. It would make life easier on me and I haven't seen any benefit from keeping them separate other then maybe redundancy. But to me the benefits of a single system seem to be the way to go..

devgru
02/20/2009, 01:59 PM
well its not a fishroom,but by moving the tank to the other side of the room i gain a 2x4' closet directly next to it.

it wil help greatly but having at least a 10x10' room for everything would be best.

DaveMorris
02/20/2009, 04:56 PM
I use a 9x12 Tuff SHed in my backyard for a fish room/yard storage area. I don't have a garage, which sucks. Nice install work 8Ball. Nice and clean.

Ty1e
02/20/2009, 05:23 PM
This should help you out some more. http://www.aquariumcontrollers.com/aquarium-equipment-comparisons.php

the excell chart is great.

devgru
02/20/2009, 05:54 PM
hey dave,ive read your posts on DA forums.nice setup.

one of my first ideas was to put my DT in my office and build a shed on the outside of the wall but due to easment rights the city wont let me.

hey Ty1e,ive seen a comparison chart awhile back.does the one you posted have the RKE on it?i dont have office on this PC right now(had a nasty virus and reformatted)

DaveMorris
02/20/2009, 08:11 PM
The Aquarium Controllers site has pretty much every controller ever made. Some of them I've never even heard of. All of the products from DA, Neptune, GHL, Aquatronica, Elos, etc., are on that chart. It is very well done and should answer any question you have when comparing controllers.

devgru
02/20/2009, 08:28 PM
looks like ill be installing office soon.thanks again

without even looking at the chart im still favoring thr RKE,but a strong second is the ACIII

devgru
02/21/2009, 07:28 PM
i just received my monthly newsletter from marinedepot.com and it has an article on controllers and a comparison as well.

im not good at including links yet but you should be able to go to their site,click on newsletter and the 'cover'article will be the controllers.

devgru
02/22/2009, 10:29 AM
i just left my LFS after picking up some bulkeads.

there was a guy in there picking up an order he placed.huge pile of stuff.
my wife noticed his watch,a $75,000 rolex.i noticed his equipment,mainly boxes of DA.i asked if he bought the RKE.

his reply "whats an RKE?"
i said "the DA boxes he had"
"oh i dont know what i bought,im setting up a reef tank and i pretty much just bought alot of things"

that just kills me.a guy that has a wealth of money to spend and he doesnt even now what he spent it on!

i asked my friend(owner) and he said the guy just dropped over $8k on livestock and equipment.

needless to say almost all the livestock and corals in the store had a "sold" tag on the tank.the guys tank doesnt even have water in it to start the cycle!

devgru
02/23/2009, 11:55 PM
OK i did it I made a decision and placed my order.

i bought an ACIII setup.i finally went with the AC after hearing problems with firmware and updates,so i went with the tried and true.

i also received 20% off so i was able to get the complete setup.

im glad i already read the programming threads here in the neptune forum.im sure ill still have Q's but will post in there as its more appropriate.

thanks to everyone who had input in this thread.it helped in my final decision.

cashyboy
02/24/2009, 12:35 AM
Great thread, I am in the same bboat right now, but I think I am also going with the ac3, the internet connectivity is huge for me, as well as the tried and true factor, thanks for all the info guys. This site is sweet.

devgru
02/24/2009, 07:36 AM
i was debating this for some time,even before i started this thread.i wanted more automation and control to simplify things.

for some time i had been looking at all the posts in the 'neptune' forum and getting ideas and code examples.

i just hope that neptune will add more expansion in the future(wavemaking module that supports more than just Tunze,salinity for the ACIII and longer programming options)

ill keep my fingers crossed

an411
02/24/2009, 09:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14454485#post14454485 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by devgru
i just left my LFS after picking up some bulkeads.

there was a guy in there picking up an order he placed.huge pile of stuff.
my wife noticed his watch,a $75,000 rolex.i noticed his equipment,mainly boxes of DA.i asked if he bought the RKE.

his reply "whats an RKE?"
i said "the DA boxes he had"
"oh i dont know what i bought,im setting up a reef tank and i pretty much just bought alot of things"

that just kills me.a guy that has a wealth of money to spend and he doesnt even now what he spent it on!

i asked my friend(owner) and he said the guy just dropped over $8k on livestock and equipment.

needless to say almost all the livestock and corals in the store had a "sold" tag on the tank.the guys tank doesnt even have water in it to start the cycle!

Gotta love it that is the type of guy that will be tearing his tank down in less then 6 months and sell his 8k worth of stuff for 2k. I hope that I have money like that to blow someday. I think I am leaning toward the RKE I been doing some research lately and plan on using tax returns for one of these. The only thing that I wish that they had that maybe in the future will add is the controller for the tunzes and dosing pumps like the profilux has. I would go for the profilux in a heartbeat if I didnt have to drop 3k on the setup I would like. Gotta love the exchange rate for that high cost of that unit

an411
02/24/2009, 09:35 AM
I think that I just found another +1 that would work and save money. I was thinking since there are individual timers on each outlet on the RKE you can hook up the doser pumps from BRS and have your alk and CA dosed for 180 bucks extra which is alot cheaper then the aquamedic or littermeter.

Harry_Fish
02/24/2009, 09:53 AM
Another Plus is that since it is moduler if you have a module
go bad you only have to replace that module, the rest of the
controller should be mostly unaffected.

To me that is a real plus.

DaveMorris
02/25/2009, 12:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14470515#post14470515 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by an411
I think that I just found another +1 that would work and save money. I was thinking since there are individual timers on each outlet on the RKE you can hook up the doser pumps from BRS and have your alk and CA dosed for 180 bucks extra which is alot cheaper then the aquamedic or littermeter.

That is how I am dosing alk and calc. I have my RKE driving two dosing pumps and I just adjust the time that each of them stays on as my alk and calc needs change. Works great.