PDA

View Full Version : Help Please - I think I messed up my TDS calibration

DLANDINO
02/17/2009, 02:20 PM
Hi all, I think I leaped before I looked. I attempted to calibrate my hend held Hannah Instruments TDS-3 meter today using Hannah instruments 800 ppm calibration solution. Once I calibrated to 800 on the meter and tested my water I find that my RO/DI water is measuring at 40+, obviously way wrong. So, I looked at the calibration solution packet and it says that it is HI70080"Certified Traceable to NIST Standard Reference Material.

Now, my meter says to calibrate with NaCl but no where on the packet of fluid that I bought do I see this terminology. No, my meter is way off. What can be done to rectify my error? Thanks very much for helping me in one of my many reef freak outs.

Dave

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/17/2009, 02:27 PM
If the fluid says 800 ppm on it, then just make sure the meter reads 800 ppm in it. :)

DLANDINO
02/17/2009, 02:32 PM
HI Randi, I did that prior to my freak out and and water that tested at 0 prior to the test is now measuring at 40+. I am running my water through an Air Water and Ice Might Might 3 stage ro/di system and the filters are only 1 week old.

DLANDINO
02/17/2009, 02:51 PM
Figured it out. My bad, I was testing water from a 1 gallon container that had previously had salt in it for a water change. Sorry to be a bother and thanks for the help!

Dave

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/17/2009, 07:30 PM
No problem.

Happy reefing. :)