PDA

View Full Version : fox face reef safe?

wisco-reef
02/17/2009, 02:23 PM
I am able to get a fox face for free and was wondering if they were a reef safe fish. I did some research and got the impression that they are but I was wondering if anybody hads any personal experience with them?

Furnman
02/17/2009, 02:24 PM
mine is a perfect citizen & eats all my algae.

michellejy
02/17/2009, 02:35 PM
Mine is perfectly behaved, but I also feed the tank heavily, so he has no reason to look around. :)

medic 125
02/17/2009, 02:37 PM
They are reef safe, but if underfed may nip at some soft coral ie... polyps, xenia.

Tswifty
02/17/2009, 03:03 PM
Some are some aren't...

Most problems occur with some of the other types like the Scribbled or Spotted... and the Fox Face is usually considered safe.

JENnKerry
02/17/2009, 03:04 PM
Had ours for 4 years now and left all the corals alone except fleshy brains. Dunno, for some reason he went zombie on us and decided to eat brains. But he's a great fish and an absolute algae eating machine, eating all types.

jnb
02/17/2009, 03:08 PM
Mine started to nip at my open brain - I caught him and found him a home - then about a year later my Kole Tang started the same thing - it must have been a tasty brain. I move the brain to my smaller tank. Otherwise the fox was fun to have.

wisco-reef
02/17/2009, 03:47 PM
what did you feed it and what makes heavy feeding?

michellejy
02/17/2009, 06:30 PM
I keep nori clipped in the tank at all times. Rabbitfish are algae grazers so they need an herbivore food mix such as emerald entree or Formula Two. Mine will also eat mysis shrimp though. It's just important to make sure that meaty foods aren't the majority of their diet.

Tylt33
02/17/2009, 06:33 PM
Keep in mind they're venomous. I haven't heard of anyone getting poked by one, but if you're getting one second hand, you might not be aware. Nothing to be alarmed about, just be cautious (as usual) when handling.

Mullet69
02/17/2009, 10:50 PM
my foxface lasted one month and my cinnom yellow striped clown (2months old) kicked the bucket

heyfredyourhat
02/18/2009, 12:26 AM
Mine was awesome for like 6-8 months. Always very well fed daily. Then it started eating my xenia and my zoas. Now my tang is doing it too, so i outsmarted the bastard and built a cage for all my zoas

reefrf
02/18/2009, 12:50 AM
I had to get rid of mine, he began to pick at my open brain. I personally would take the chance again. Too hard to catch!

Scoobydude825
02/18/2009, 09:08 AM
Mine is a perfect citizen. But he is not shy about swimming right at my hand when I am clipping the Nori in the tank. I get really nervous when he does that. I almost wish that he was a little afraid of my hand at times.

epstein
02/18/2009, 09:22 AM
MINE is a model citizen...I just wish he would graze at my hair algae a little more......He and the purple tang had to work some stuff out but all seems good in the hood...Bout 2 yrs ago there was a guy stung by one and rushed to hospital in Rockaway Queens.

Sk8r
02/18/2009, 07:31 PM
I've seen the result of the sting: getting to the ER early would allow treatment as for a fiddleback spider bite. The one I saw was widespread necrosis (cell death) across the side of the hand.

epstein
02/18/2009, 07:47 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,232777,00.html?sPage=fnc.science/naturalscience

A one spot foxface rabbitfish bit the 19-year-old aquarist Tuesday night while he was working on his fish tank in East Rockaway, said Nassau County Police Officer Thomas Brussell.

The species, known by the scientific name Siganus unimaculatus, has venomous spines on its back, according to fishbase.org, an electronic database maintained by researchers.

• Click here to visit FOXNews.com's Natural Science Center.

Also called the blotched foxface rabbitfish, the fish is found in tropical seas off western Australia, the Philippines and other parts of the western Pacific Ocean.

Brussell said East Rockaway firefighters took the young man to a local hospital with a bite to his left index finger around 9:25 p.m., but information on his injuries and condition wasn't available early Wednesday.

mickela
02/18/2009, 07:59 PM
I have had mine for about 6 months (he/she is full grown) and it's never attempted to touch my corals and he's very bashful

Tylt33
02/18/2009, 08:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14427639#post14427639 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by epstein
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,232777,00.html?sPage=fnc.science/naturalscience

A one spot foxface rabbitfish bit the 19-year-old aquarist Tuesday night while he was working on his fish tank in East Rockaway, said Nassau County Police Officer Thomas Brussell.

The species, known by the scientific name Siganus unimaculatus, has venomous spines on its back, according to fishbase.org, an electronic database maintained by researchers.

• Click here to visit FOXNews.com's Natural Science Center.

Also called the blotched foxface rabbitfish, the fish is found in tropical seas off western Australia, the Philippines and other parts of the western Pacific Ocean.

Brussell said East Rockaway firefighters took the young man to a local hospital with a bite to his left index finger around 9:25 p.m., but information on his injuries and condition wasn't available early Wednesday.

Well, I appreciate that the article acknowledges that their poison is in the SPINES. They must have one heck of a bite to go with it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: