PDA

View Full Version : 90gallon stocking

pendergraft
02/17/2009, 06:20 PM
I just was reading the thread someone wrote on how to stock a 65 gallon. What about a 90 gallon? I have a 90 gallon and would like a yellow tank, sixline wrasse, cleaner/peppermint shrimp, pair of clowns and was wondering what else is a good reef safe fish with a purpose? Looking for something to take care of the reef in a way. Such as the tang is algea, sixline is bugs etc. Would it be big enough for a mandarin?

Packersfan21
02/17/2009, 06:29 PM
Here's my planned stocking list for my 90:
1x Ocelaris clown(already have)
1x percula clown(already have)
1x orchard dottyback(getting this week)
1x midas blenny
1x scott's fairy wrasse
1x coral beauty angelfish
1x tang(not sure which species yet)
1x lyretail anthias (maybe)
1x lined flasher wrasse(maybe)

I wouldn't reccomend a six-line wrasse since they can get pretty aggressive. Tangs that you can consider, are as you said a yellow tang, a purple tang, chevron tang, scopas tang, tomni tang, and kole tang. I think you would be fine w/ a mandarin as long as you have a fuge and you wait 6-12 months fro the pod population to grow. I had a green mandarin brfore, but made the mistake of not researching it and it starved to death.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Reeftanks6
02/17/2009, 07:57 PM
My 90g stocking list is:
1 Sixline wrasse
1 Flame Angle
1 Two Barred Foxface
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Clown Tang
2 tomato clowns

reefscape15
02/18/2009, 05:46 PM
You may want to go with a Foxface of some sorts to take care of the Macro algae, and a Bristle-Tooth tang (Kole, Chevron, etc...) for any other types of algae you might encounter. I've heard that 6line can get agressive, but have never seen one in person that i wouldn't have in a tank with other fish. As PACKERSFAN said, you will NEED a fuge going for a while if you ever plan on keeping a Mandarin. Cleaner shrimp will take care of most parasites, foxface/tang will help with any algae, wrasse will help with bugs. You may want to add a Diamond Goby for sand stirring along with as many different types of snails and crabs as you can find. I feel that every different animal will mostly eat a certain type of food, so you should try to get a variety of cleaners as opposed to 30 Blueleg hermits and 30 Asterea snails

unbreakable
02/18/2009, 06:20 PM
radiant wrasse, coris wrasse, christmas wrasse supposed to eat pyram snails that can kill some snails and clams, they need a sand bed at least 3", and not crushed coral.. just picked up a melanurus wrasse and looks great

id either go with a yellow tang or a yellow eye kole tang. as for clownfish, id go with saddlebacks or 2 black and white ocellaris clownfish

pendergraft
02/18/2009, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I have a sixline in my Biocube14 that I want to move over. He hasn't been aggressive in there yet so I am hoping he will behave himself in the 90g. I have printed everyone's suggested fish and will research on the internet as to each ones care. I do want to get a variety for my CUC and fish with a purpose. I think with my MH lights and hot hot summers I will have plenty of algae to go around. Just bought a fancy hammerhead cleaner magnet, now that is a powerful magnet. Makes my magfloat feel mickey mouse. Just like my Vortech pumps make my pumps look insufficient.

unbreakable
02/18/2009, 06:34 PM
i would hold on adding the sixline, at least make it the last fish added. they can be mean, it really is more like a 50/50 toss up. some people complain of them biting other fish and chasing them, and others say theyre gentle. just make sure the other fish will get established before adding the sixline

pendergraft
02/18/2009, 06:38 PM
Will do. He is doing no harm in my BC so he doesn't know the 90g exists, ha ha. He actually can see the new tank from his tank but I still won't tell him. They say add the quieter fish first and then the potential nastier ones right? What is a safe amount of fish to add first off. I have to drive 4hrs to get them as we live in a small town with no SW fish store worth buying stock from due to ich and disease. So when I get my first fish I would like to get a couple for sure.

Packersfan21
02/18/2009, 06:50 PM
I would go w/ 1 or 2 fish at a time during 1 moth intervals. Instead of sriving 4hrs. to ge fish, it might be easier to order online at www.liveaquaria.com. They have overnight shipping, a 14-day guarantee, and everything almost always arrives healthy and in good condition.

unbreakable
02/18/2009, 08:40 PM
liveaquaria.com is a great site, and that's true, the money you spend in gas is the money you could spend on overnighting fish you want that will be healthy. live aquaria is great about returning money if the fish dies

depends on the size, but at least 2-3 if theyre really small. I would just buy two and see how they do for a couple of weeks

pendergraft
02/18/2009, 08:49 PM
I live in Canada. I live close to a US border but don't think you can bring fish and corals across the line. I would love to order from there if it was possible.

Packersfan21
02/18/2009, 09:14 PM
Oh yea, forgot about that...

pendergraft
02/18/2009, 10:13 PM
Sucks to be me.
I can mail order from Canada I suppose but don't seem to get the cool stuff the US has. Bummer!!