PDA

View Full Version : 2 part from bulkreefsupply

mrpenguin
02/17/2009, 06:53 PM
Can somebody please explain using 2 part to me ... especially the ones you buy from bulkreef.com

I currently use 2 part but from Brightwell Aquatics.... so that part I understand about bringing or maintaning Calcium and Alkalinity.

What I dont understand is the bulkreefsupply.com 2 part that come in big pales.
The pales are Calcium clorite and Soda ash.
How exactly do you use the 2 part that comes in the pales and also how long would you think a 1 gallon pale will last ?

My 2 liter liquid 2 part currently last me 2 months.

Trying to find a way to save money here ....

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/17/2009, 07:28 PM
Their recipe is a modification of mine, but this is basically how it works:

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

kaskiles
02/17/2009, 07:29 PM
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Two-Part-Instructions/t1/articles.html

Legacy2005
02/17/2009, 07:32 PM
the one gallon pales make roughly 8 gallons of solution if i remember right.
calcium cloride is the CA
soda ash is ALK

depending on how much you have to dose daily the 1 gallon pale can last a year or more. BRS has instructions on how to make the solutions. I got their total 2 part kit last month and love it.

mhaith
02/18/2009, 12:23 AM
You want cheap?

Just get the Mag Chloride and the Calcium Chloride from BRS. Baking Soda at Costco and Epsom Salts at Walgreens.

Read Randy's article and this post will make sense.

HTH

mrpenguin
02/18/2009, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the all the replies.

Unfortunately I live in Canada and seem to never be able to find anything in the stores they talk about here on RC.

Will go and look at some hardware stores today but I have this feeling its stuff they only sell in the US.

mrpenguin
02/18/2009, 09:27 AM
I wrote down all the names of things I need from Randys two part but I cant seem to see where it says I can find Epson salt ?
Or what Epson salt is usualy used for.

mhaith
02/18/2009, 10:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14422586#post14422586 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mrpenguin
Thanks for the all the replies.

Unfortunately I live in Canada and seem to never be able to find anything in the stores they talk about here on RC.

Will go and look at some hardware stores today but I have this feeling its stuff they only sell in the US.

I'm pretty sure you guys have Baking Soda and Epsom Salts are sold in grocery stores and drug stores and is pretty common.

The Epsom Salts are mixed with the Mag Chloride (see the third part of the DIY 2 part) when you read Randy's article........

Drake1
02/18/2009, 10:58 AM
how does randys mixture compare to the comericial stuff like BRS, what are the differences?
thanks

mhaith
02/18/2009, 11:00 AM
Roughly the same thing I believe.

There is a contention that BRS just commercialized his 'recipe'...?

mrpenguin
02/18/2009, 11:57 AM
Ok.... I found some stuff with alot os searching because the paople I asked at the hardware stores looked at me as if I was some kind of idiot, probably thought I wanted to make a bomb or something.

Anyway I found the following :

Epson salt
Baking soda
Those two i am sure is the same as what you get in the USA.

Vaporized Ice Melter - Magnesium Chloride Pellets
Contains : Magnesium Chloride

Sel warwick
Calcium Chloride 77% flakes
sold as a de icer
http://www.selwarwick.com/en/produits/CdC-Chlorure_de_calcium.aspx

will this stuff work ??
Is it the same kind of stuff that is on Randys resepe ?

mrpenguin
02/18/2009, 04:36 PM
bump

mhaith
02/18/2009, 05:03 PM
I was going to let Randy or someone with a bit more knowledge respond as all I have learned, I have learned from Randy's articles.

Bottom line, the risk in the commercial products is the lack of purity. If you can order from BRS or similar source guaranteeing purity, it may make some sense.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/19/2009, 07:33 AM

They discussed it with me before they started their company and I was all for it. They now have modified it a bit to allow slightly different bulk materials to be used, such as "already baked" baking soda and a different supplier than Dow for the calcium chloride (since there were some concerns when Dow began leaving more bromide in the product).

As to the magnesium part, grocery store Epsom salt that is USP grade is OK. The only MAG flake I recommend is made by the Dead Sea Works. Other brands may have excessive ammonia or other impurities.

mrpenguin
02/19/2009, 09:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14430909#post14430909 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley

They discussed it with me before they started their company and I was all for it. They now have modified it a bit to allow slightly different bulk materials to be used, such as "already baked" baking soda and a different supplier than Dow for the calcium chloride (since there were some concerns when Dow began leaving more bromide in the product).

As to the magnesium part, grocery store Epsom salt that is USP grade is OK. The only MAG flake I recommend is made by the Dead Sea Works. Other brands may have excessive ammonia or other impurities.

So what about Sel warwick Calcium Chloride 77% flakes, would that be ok ?

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/19/2009, 12:13 PM
I do not know. Dowflake is the only bulk brand that I carefully tested, along with several hobby brands, for impurities:

Purity of Calcium Chloride
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2004/chem.htm