PDA

View Full Version : Are problems in captive reefs triggered by the season?

DLANDINO
02/17/2009, 07:08 PM
I have only been keeping a reef tank for a little over a year but in that time I have seen numerous problems come and go. Some were new tank issues that you deal with in the first year and some were not. After researching reef central current and archived threads for each issue on how to beat the problems I began to see a trend by the time of year.

So, my question is has anyone else noticed this or is it coincidence. Right now it seems that there are many threads out there regarding diatoms and dynos. Is there any correlation?

Thanks.

tkeracer619
02/18/2009, 12:23 AM
Possibly. It could however simply be that a wholesaler had a huge dino bloom and well shipped out thousands of corals with it. End result is a lot of people have the same dinos.... which I have now been battling for 2 weeks. Though I am winning =D

Watch in the next 2 months for the overheated tank threads. There will be at least 20 if not more.

nikon187
02/18/2009, 01:53 AM
Word to the wise, chillers are usually on sale right about now for those up coming months if heat is an issue.

carman9941
02/18/2009, 08:43 AM
I work part time at a reef store DLANDINO and I do notice a trend for certain types of problems, I have wondered if it has anything to do with the way our water treatment plant processes the water or something along those lines