PDA

View Full Version : Maxi-Jet with Free Sure Flow 1600 Maxi-Jet Upgrade Kit

SteveNMegz
02/17/2009, 07:33 PM
Anyone use one of these?

We were thinking of getting 2 of these for our 150G tank with the JBJ wavemaker.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~AS1147~idCategory~FIPHFFUK~category~w__Upgrade_Kit~vendor~.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~JBJ_Ocean_Pulse___DUO_Wavemaker_(2_pump_Capacity)_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_W avemakers_External~vendor~JBJ_Lighting~SearchStr~~action~view~idProduct~JB6111~idCategory~FIWMEW.htm l

We will also have our current 2 korillia 4's, and also 2 korillia 2's in the tank.

What do u guys think?

SteveNMegz
02/17/2009, 07:39 PM
sorry other links not working, i'll try again.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~JBJ_Ocean_Pulse___DUO_Wavemaker_(2_pump_Capacity)_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_W avemakers_External~vendor~JBJ_Lighting~SearchStr~~action~view~idProduct~JB6111~idCategory~FIWMEW.htm l

Misled
02/17/2009, 07:40 PM
Mine

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q68/jllndmb/DEF_6356.jpg

Toddrtrex
02/17/2009, 08:36 PM
Jesse -- is that the magnet holder from a Hydor?

I have a couple of the sureflows, and love them. While they aren't recommended to use on a wavemaker, I have been using them that way for over a year now.

Misled
02/17/2009, 08:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14419847#post14419847 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
Jesse -- is that the magnet holder from a Hydor?

Yes it is. With as much flow as these guys put out, I didn't want one falling because the suction cups let loose. I probably wouldn't be able to see anything for the sandstorm.

The price of the mag mounts for the mj kit is more than the price of a Koralia. They also make the pump look huge. I just epoxied a magnet to the mj.I then modded the mounts that come with the sure-flow to fit the Koralia's. It's all good!!!!

Toddrtrex
02/17/2009, 08:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14420020#post14420020 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Misled
Yes it is. With as much flow as these guys put out, I didn't want one falling because the suction cups let loose. I probably wouldn't be able to see anything for the sandstorm.

The price of the mag mounts for the mj kit is more than the price of a Koralia. They also make the pump look huge. I just epoxied a magnet to the mj.I then modded the mounts that come with the sure-flow to fit the Koralia's. It's all good!!!!

That is a great idea. I do agree the Mag mounts for them are on the bigger side. I actually have an old Koralia 4 sitting in my junk box (( shocks me )), so I just might have to try that. Thanks.

Misled
02/17/2009, 09:00 PM
Check the top of the mj when you do it. Mine were just snaped on. I glued it. You loose being able to control direction. On my corner I have them on the two sides facing each other, so it doesn't mean much to me.

spleify
02/17/2009, 09:34 PM
I love mine!! I also suggest VERY strongly that you look into some type of magnets for them, whether it be the ones shown above, or the Algae Free ones.

Just last week as a matter of fact, I woke up in the morning to the the horror that BOTH of mine had fallen off(darn crappy suction cups) and were flying all over the tank for, who knows how long over night. They broke at least 6 corals and I couldn't see from one end of the tank to the other.

Awesome mods, but I believe they REALLY need to be held up with magnets.

Good luck.

Pike614
02/17/2009, 09:43 PM
I run 6 of these in my tank, stick with the MJ 900 IMO, the flow with the 1200 and upgraded prop is just too much, even in my 450g. MUST get magnet mount also, mine holds great through 3/4" acrylic....never had one fall!

jim.l
02/17/2009, 10:37 PM
The algae free mod kit has an adjustable mount which can be glued to a mag. Kit is very similar. I run 1 of each and was able to get a good gyre flow going by running one across the back of the tank and hanging the adjustable one off the far side of the megaflow bouncing off the side towards the front of the tank. I glued the mj hangers to the power head mounts.

reeferstace
02/18/2009, 06:46 AM
I use these mods on my MJ1200s. I love them. Like others here I advise getting the magnets for holding them. I don't trust suction cups.

returnofsid
02/18/2009, 07:16 AM
MJ1200s are a very reliable and proven powerhead. When you add the sureflow kit to them, they are incredible!! In fact, with the sureflow kit, they use LESS power. I would NEVER run any powerhead without a magnet mount. I've had too many suction cups fail. With the sureflow mod, the Suregrip magnet holders rock!! They also give you more control over manipulating directions.

It's amazing that such an inexpensive mod can turn a 294 GPH powerhead into a 2000 GPH monster AND use less energy!!

Rjukan
02/18/2009, 07:27 AM
Sorry to threadjack a bit, but I have 2 mj1200 with the surflow mods and the 100 mag holder for it coming for my tank this week. I wasn't planning on using the upgraded propellers for it right away because I've read they are very powerful.

Does anyone forsee a problem running them in a 75gal on a wavemaster pro? I'm starting to get concerned it's too much flow. Thanks.

w16227
02/18/2009, 12:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14422376#post14422376 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rjukan
Sorry to threadjack a bit, but I have 2 mj1200 with the surflow mods and the 100 mag holder for it coming for my tank this week. I wasn't planning on using the upgraded propellers for it right away because I've read they are very powerful.

Does anyone forsee a problem running them in a 75gal on a wavemaster pro? I'm starting to get concerned it's too much flow. Thanks.

They do churn out a ton of flow. I have 2 and was planning to add them to my 125. I ran one on the side to see the effect - even with placing the outlet facing toward the tank top - I had some blowing sand. I haev a sleeper goby - so the top layer of sand will most likely not "slime over" a bit to minimize this. I switched back to the smaller prop. Better - but I still need to experiment with placement to see if I can use it without making a mess. Might have to switch to a MJ900.

I already have 2 x Korilla 3s in the tank - so the turbulent effect maybe causing some of this. My plan is for the MJs to be on a wavemaker and only run during the day.

In a 75 - try the smaller props first.

SteveNMegz
02/18/2009, 03:50 PM
Great info guys! The reason we were leaning towards the 1200's were because they are only $1 more. But it sounds like it'll jsut be to much, will the 900's work good, or go even smaller?

Rjukan
02/18/2009, 04:06 PM
I actually got my MJ1200s in the mail today and I just finished trying one out... Unfortunately at first glance it seems like they might be too much flow for my tank, even with the lower propeller. It wasnt blowing sand around or anything, but it seems like a insane amount of flow. A mushroom floated by when it was on lol, and my leather coral looked like it was in a hurricane.

Im going to try and make them work, but if I could do it again I would def go with the mj900.

seapug
02/18/2009, 04:46 PM
Agreed....the maxi jet mods are great but will rattle and/or severely reduce the lifespan of the pumps when used on a wave maker. If you do use them on a timer, I found the Sure Flo mods are much better than the Eco Mods.

As someone who's dealt with the worst case scenario of a pump falling into the sand, I'd highly recommend a magnet holder for any powerhead in a tank, modded or not.

SL38
02/18/2009, 04:51 PM
I have the maxijets with sure flo mod on mine with a jbj wavemaker. And that thing was noisy. I definetely would not recommend them on a wavemaker. Everytime they turn on they make a loud click which eventually got really annoying.

SteveNMegz
02/18/2009, 05:06 PM
really? I heard the maxi jets were good on wavemakers (no noise, or problems) So what powerhead are available for wavemakers? We don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on powerheads either. Thats why we were gonna try the maxi jets

Rjukan
02/18/2009, 05:12 PM
Lol, yeah I bought these MJs because I read they worked well with the wavemaster pro I had. I guess they were referring to the pump w/o the mod. Hell, I might just set them up stock and use them with the wavemaster that way.

Hey S&M (lol), its a good thing your researching this better than I did. I feel like you were reading the same things I was.

seapug
02/18/2009, 05:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14426310#post14426310 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SteveNMegz
really? I heard the maxi jets were good on wavemakers (no noise, or problems) So what powerhead are available for wavemakers? We don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on powerheads either. Thats why we were gonna try the maxi jets

Plain maxi jets are fine on a wave timer, the problem comes when you use modified maxi jets on a wave timer. After looking at my box of ruined MJs I decided to invest in a set of controllable Koralia 4's and their two way controller, which I am very pleased with.

SteveNMegz
02/18/2009, 06:09 PM
this suck now haha. We probably did read the same stuff lol

now is it possible to prevent the clacking noise on startup by getting a different wavemaker? maybe one that has a slow startup?

From what I remember I don't think the MJ 1200's push much water at all stock 295GPH was it? I don't think that'll cut it in a 150g

axm059300
02/18/2009, 06:16 PM
I got 4 of those hooked up to my wavemaker, I've had tunzes, vortechs, sold them all and just kept this setup, works flawlessly for me.