PDA

View Full Version : tiger tail cucumber

fahad09
02/17/2009, 09:01 PM
how safe are tiger tail cucumbers in comparison to other cucumbers. i am hearing many different things about them on different sites. some are saying that they are poisonous to the tank and others are saying no. anyone know which one it is?

Lev F.
02/17/2009, 09:36 PM
I've got one stuck and dead in the powerhead once, and nothing happened. It was torn up pretty bad. I'm not sure to which species you refer however, there are several in the hobby that are called "Tiger Tail" cukes,

supervdl
02/17/2009, 09:38 PM
There are mixed opinions on this topic. Do a search on this on reefcentral esp. in the invert forum.

Dante_JoseCuerv
02/17/2009, 10:00 PM
Tiger tails aren't poisonous, although if one dies in a tank with too little filtration capacity I should imagine you would see a nitrate spike. The ones you usually have to worry about are the sea apples.

fahad09
02/18/2009, 12:14 AM
How long after it dies would you start to worry about the tank's parameters?

Dante_JoseCuerv
02/18/2009, 12:34 AM
If you know when it dies, I'd remove it ASAP, actually in any case remove it ASAP if you have a small tank. They're not terribly bad though. My black cuke died in my 90 and nothing really happened.

madadi
02/18/2009, 02:32 AM
i dont have a huge water volume and i had two tiger tail cucumbers die in a day. nothing happened. another time i lost one of those cucumbers that are half black half pink, almost all my sps browned out and i thought i was going to lose everything.

tiger tail cucumbers are the best in my opinion for deep sand beds. they like a finer sand to stir trough. black cucumbers are good also but they dont look as cool. :p

fahad09
02/18/2009, 03:54 AM
thanks for the help. i will do a little more research on this before i go buy one because my sand bed is getting very brown/redding and i just want it cleaned. thanks again.

hawkfishman
02/18/2009, 10:23 AM
there is no issue they just need lots of sand to filter / standard 100 gal tank min.

fahad09
02/18/2009, 04:46 PM
do tiger cucumbers start out brown? I just bought a tiger cucumber about the size of the index finger and its brown. the name that was put up was sand sifter cucumber and i checked later on on a different site and it said that it is also called tiger tail cucumber. however, the pictures that i have seen of the tiger cucumber have color to them where as the one i bought is brown. so does the color change as it gets bigger?

Harley-J
02/18/2009, 06:35 PM
Tiger Tails are brown..all of mine are brown and some have lightened up just a little...
These guys are the absolute best IMO...I just wish they werent $20 a pop....
Plus these guys get HUGE!!! and awesome to look at at night.....
as long as you have good filtration you should be fine...I have had a few die and no adverse effects....but I do run skimmer and ozone..

Rae C.
02/18/2009, 06:46 PM
Do these guys compete with bristle worms or mandarines? I was just reading that they attach themslves to a cave and extend out from there. I have a 6"+ bristle worm that seems to do the same.

tgunn
02/18/2009, 06:50 PM
I had a tiger tail in my 140g. Best sand sifter there is. He even split into 2 over time. Probably one of the most freaky creatures to pick up though.

So neat to watch him eat. Dirty sand goes in, clean sand comes out the back.

Just make sure your rocks are stable as they tend to like to "mine" underneath your rocks.

Tyler

Harley-J
02/18/2009, 08:31 PM
Yep awesome to watch....they leave little pellets of clean sand ...its funny...I know when they've been cleaning by following the trail of clean sand pellets!!

out, they will not compete with your mandarins, 2 different worlds...

buccard
02/18/2009, 10:00 PM
Caught mine on the glass one time-wild looking creature-I love it!

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq82/buccard/IMG_3728.jpg

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq82/buccard/IMG_3722.jpg

fahad09
02/18/2009, 10:06 PM
is that a tiger cucumber? i thought they didn't have the filter feeders or is that something else?

Rae C.
That is way cool! is there a suction cup on the tail end?

fahad09
is that a tiger cucumber? i thought they didn't have the filter feeders or is that something else? also how do u just post up pictures like that without putting a link? i had to put my pictures on photobucket and then paste the link.

noahm
02/18/2009, 10:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14428967#post14428967 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fahad09
is that a tiger cucumber? i thought they didn't have the filter feeders or is that something else? also how do u just post up pictures like that without putting a link? i had to put my pictures on photobucket and then paste the link.

When you are in your photobucket album, move your cursor over one of the thumbnails and wait a sec. You will see 4 types of URL. Email, Direct link, HTML, and IMG. Click on the URL in the box next to IMG. It will automatically copy it for you. Go into your post you are making and CTRL+v (paste) and when you preview your post, the pic should show up in the body of the message. When you are satisfied, post your message.

If you are just wanting to post a pic from some other site, right click on the picture go to properties. There will be a URL for the actual pic that ends in .jpg etc. Use this one instead of the URL in the address bar and put it between the IMG tags and it will put the pic in the body of the post as well.

Photobucket is easy because it already puts the IMG code around the URL for you.

buccard
02/19/2009, 12:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14428961#post14428961 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by out
That is way cool! is there a suction cup on the tail end?

That picture is of the mouth=the business end is just a hole that shoots sand pellets out=sometimes rather impressively-2-3 inch distance.

I dont know what kind of sea cucumber it is=I dont think it is a tiger tail, My LFS just sold it to me as a sea cucumber.

buccard
02/19/2009, 12:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14428958#post14428958 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fahad09
is that a tiger cucumber? i thought they didn't have the filter feeders or is that something else?

He uses those tentacles-for lack of a better word-to gather sand. He has only gone on the glass a couple of times-usually when I do lights out for a day or two. When the light comes on he retreats back to the sand bed: where he was headed when I shot the picture.