PDA

View Full Version : Which spray paint for tank backround?

luvreefs23
02/17/2009, 09:39 PM
I think ive read that krylon fusion works to spray paint a backround on a tank? Ive always used eggshell latex but takes way to long with to many coats. What spray paints are cool to use?

Thanks
Dennis

OneReef
02/17/2009, 09:45 PM
krylon fusion is what I used, and alot of others use. Good stuff

Jenisiz
02/17/2009, 10:00 PM
I've used it multiple times...it's great...

the_rider
02/17/2009, 10:38 PM
Any spray can would work, but the trick is to spray several really thin layers (around 6-10), so you can built up a base where the new paint can stick, if you try to cover it the first time, you will have runs, and possibly some part not cover at all.

The first and second layer would not be thick and will look like a "mist" then wait 5 min spray another one and etc.

I may be a little to cautious, but I huge the same method that I use for modeling lol

sundancer
02/17/2009, 10:44 PM
Spray any paint you like on a sheet of stryrofoam from Home Depot and tape that to your tank. It will help insulate your tank from temp swings.

Treg
02/17/2009, 11:22 PM
Window tint is a 100x's easier. :)

darkdruid
02/17/2009, 11:23 PM
The coolest background is a mirror cut to fit the back of your tank. Run a bead of silicon around the outside back of the tank and put the mirror in place. The silicon holds the mirror in place and seals it so no water drips between the mirror and the tank. Your tank instantly looks bigger, the number of fish double, it looks like you have more corals, and alot more light is reflected back into the tank