PDA

View Full Version : Question about QT process for new fish

Timbor
02/17/2009, 10:11 PM
Hi there,

I am getting a couple fish this Friday (blackcap basslet and a clown goby). These will be the first additions to my tank after losing my fish in QT after an ich outbreak.

I have had no fish in the QT since mid december, and I plan on keeping the new fish in QT in hypo for 6 weeks to hopefully rid them of any parasite that may have come in with them.

My question is, will keeping them in hypo for that long ensure they are free of ich? Do they need anything else done? How soon after I add them to the QT tank should I start dropping salinity, and how fast?

Thanks for the advice!

Tim

Timbor
02/18/2009, 10:46 AM
Anyone?

LobsterOfJustice
02/18/2009, 11:05 AM
Personally, I like to treat with prazipro as well, that will take care of flukes and internal worms that you might not readily see.

Timbor
02/18/2009, 11:56 AM
Prazipro, huh? I will have to look for it.

Do you treat with it while the fish are in hypo? What sg do you keep the fish at?

Also, does prazipro have a tendency to forever render the tank unsafe for invertebrates? I have been using the tank to QT new corals as well, so I would hate to make it unusable for them in the future.

Thanks,

Tim

Freed
02/18/2009, 12:01 PM
Hypo must be performed at 1.009 SG and you must use an accurately calibrated refractometer to measure the SG with. You can drop the salinity down over a couple of days but you must take at least several days to bring it back up.