PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer placment ???

josephv
02/17/2009, 10:49 PM
My overflow from the main tank goes directly in to my skimmer then through a filter sock and into a sump. My sump contains baffles of live rock, cheato and live sand,From there it goes through a Rainbow filter and back to the tank.I'm new at this so my question is does this work for you or should I change the placement???

Volkman
02/18/2009, 06:48 AM
You should have the overflow going into a sump of sorts, then have a powerhead push the water into the skimmer.(better skimming) But the rest sounds good. What's a Rainbow filter? Canister? If it is, ditch it. Your rock and sand are basically your "filter." Berlin style.

reefscape15
02/18/2009, 08:53 AM
The filter after the sump, which actually is setup as a refugium in my opinion is not good for you. Agreed that you should have your skimmer first in line, then filter sock if you want to run it (you need to keep it extra clean or it's going to release nitrates/phosphates back into the water), then your sump/fuge. There should be nothing filtering the water after your sump. The Chaeto/Rock/Sand will produce a lot of pods and other natural food to keep your tank somewhat fed, and if your filtering this water, you are just taking out what the fuge is producing. I feel that an oversized skimmer and refugium is all you need. I have nothing other than this and the polyps on my corals are always extended. I have a small colony of Orange Sun Polyps, which say you have to directly feed them and they only open at night, but i've never fed them and they are open 24/7, and the colony has doubled in size in about 3 months! There are 2 ways to go with a reef. The technology way, or the biology way. I prefer bio, but thats just me.