PDA

View Full Version : Crystal clear to cloudy in less than an hour?

Shmax
02/17/2009, 11:15 PM
Tonight at lights out time(9:30) I was standing in front of the tank checking everybody out like I normally do.... everything was in order and as it should be. Just a bit ago, at 10:30, I went down into the basement to feed the FOWLR, and noticed that the water in the tank downstairs was hazy, not super cloudy, but a definite white cloudiness going on. I don't have a fuge, so no caulerpa or anything... could it be a snail spawn? I don't have any corals that spawn, and the only fish that spawn in there that I've seen are the clowns... but obviously they don't make a mess in the water column. My params are in check, and I haven't dosed cal/alk in about 24 hours.

Amm/Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
SG 1.025
Ph 8.2
Cal 460
Alk 7.8 to 8 dkh
Mg 1200 (a tad low, waiting on supplement)

I haven't noticed any change in the reef upstairs, all corals have full nighttime polyp extension like usual, but downstairs in the 72, the GSP look funny... they're open, but the polyps are droopy looking, which is unusual. Any thoughts?

Peter Eichler
02/17/2009, 11:30 PM
Do you dose a carbon source such as vodka, sugar, or vit. C? If not it's probably a spawn of some type, and probably snails. This happening right after lights out would make sense.

OwenInAZ
02/17/2009, 11:31 PM
bacterial bloom? I inadvertantly dosed some ethanol into the tank (used 95% EtOH bottle I forgot to rinse out before filling with fresh) and it turned cloudy in a matter of hours.

Shmax
02/17/2009, 11:48 PM
No dosing of any kind since my cal/alk dose last night. I've been poking around with a flashlight in the reef... it appears the turbo snails are up to something. There's a big cluster of turbo snails all piled on top of each other on the rockwork. That has to be what's going on I think.