PDA

View Full Version : PLease help !!!!!!!!

BHAMR6
02/17/2009, 11:16 PM
Ive got a 65g tank ive had running for a few mos. Here is my problem.

About a week ago i added a lawn mower bleeny it didnt act right from the start long story short it died in a couple of days.
My other fish that i have had for a few months to a few yrs have all started acting funny. The first is a extra small hippo tang that has been in my tank for about 2 mos. It started scraping against the rocks its doing it so much it looks like it has torn scales off its side. I thought about ick but there have been no white dots on the fish

The second problem started today my male anthias that i have had for a few month came out to feed tonight with what looks like a bad case of pop eye. It is really bulging and cloudy.

The only thing i have changed is i added the lawn mower blenny and i added some off brand carbon about the same time .

Water params are all good the only thing off is i have alittle high nitrates.

Please any help my fear is this will spread to my fish i have had for yrs

Freed
02/17/2009, 11:47 PM
Might be velvet

BHAMR6
02/18/2009, 06:48 PM
Now my Goby which i have had for over 2yrs just came out of his hole and his eye is bulging and cloudy.

PLEASE HELP IAM GOING NUTS WHAT IS GOING ON

discusone
02/18/2009, 06:53 PM
Well,inyour OP,you have had the 65 up for a few months,correct?
But,then you state the other fish that you have had for several months,to several years ,are acting funny.
So,were the older fish,that are acting funny, transfered from another tank?
And before the addition of the lawnmower,was everything going good?
Was anything put into QT?.Its hard from your post to tell if the cause was the blenny causing problems,or if your tank caused the blenny problems.

BHAMR6
02/18/2009, 07:00 PM
Sorry i wasnt clear alot of the fish and the coral came out of another tank that i had they were all over 2 yrs old.
So you have the fish from my old tank plus 2 fish that i got after the 65 was started all.
All of the fish have been in the 65g for a few mos. But last week i added a lawn mower bleeny everything had been great up until then. But i also added this no name brand carbon at the same time i put the bleeny

discusone
02/18/2009, 07:02 PM
Just saw your last post,you may have a enviromental issue going on with your new 65.A 2 year old gobie,suddenly developing cloudy/popeye,and a new home,I.e.,the new 65,is pointing to an issue with the new tank.

BHAMR6
02/18/2009, 07:12 PM
But wouldnt they have gotten sick before now i dont remember exactly when it cycled but its been awhile everyone has been in there w/th no issue until now. But i see what you are saying in less than a few days ive lost a new lawn mower bleeny, my male anthias got a cloudy pop eye and now not even 24 hrs since i last looked at the goby he has a cloudy pop eye

1 death
2 cloudy pop eyes
1 baby hippo scrathing his scales off on the rocks

All w/th in a week

discusone
02/18/2009, 07:18 PM
I think you can disregard the carbon as a cause for anything,as long as it was rinsed well.
The two two new additions may have been an issue,but i sense the 65 may be the problem here.
If,you set up the 65,with the sand/gravel/liverock,lighting,and all other equipment,from the previous tank,and the water was of the same parameters,then the transition should have gone smoothly.And,was the transfer from the old system,to the new system smooth,no leaving rock/sand out of water for any lenght of time?

Freed
02/18/2009, 07:20 PM
Sounds like the new blenny had a disease when it was introduced into the tank thus spreading to the others in short time.

discusone
02/18/2009, 07:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14427336#post14427336 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BHAMR6
But wouldnt they have gotten sick before now i dont remember exactly when it cycled but its been awhile everyone has been in there w/th no issue until now. But i see what you are saying in less than a few days ive lost a new lawn mower bleeny, my male anthias got a cloudy pop eye and now not even 24 hrs since i last looked at the goby he has a cloudy pop eye

1 death
2 cloudy pop eyes
1 baby hippo scrathing his scales off on the rocks

All w/th in a week

Not neccisarely.A previously healthy fish,as yours were,can mask an illness for a long stretch,especially if they are well feed,and cared for.I really believe your newish tank may be the issue.

BHAMR6
02/18/2009, 07:31 PM
Iam trying to remember i think we had the tank cycled and the fish in it by october so that means these fish have been doing good since then until this week.

What would be my next step water changes? medication ?

discusone
02/18/2009, 07:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14427400#post14427400 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Freed
Sounds like the new blenny had a disease when it was introduced into the tank thus spreading to the others in short time.

What was the timeframe,from when the blenny died,to when you noticed the other,longterm fish,acting funny?A day,4 days,a week?

BHAMR6
02/18/2009, 07:43 PM
The lawn mower bleeny died Saturday or sunday i got him out right away. I noticed the hippo scrathing on the rock monday , The anthias eye was that way last night the goby was fine last night but 24 hrs later it has a cloudy swollen eye.

Iam flipping out because the fish that i had from the other tank mean alot to me and the last thing i thought was that one of them would be sick today

BHAMR6
02/18/2009, 07:44 PM
I just made up water last night to do a water change but it has to sit inside to get up to temp so i cant change it tonight and iam scared by tomorrow it will all be worse

discusone
02/18/2009, 07:46 PM
Well,if there is no indication of ich/velvet,then maintaining water quality should take care of any eye problems.Water changes wont hurt,and,the pat answer,QT anything else going into the tank from this point forward.
Just monitor the tank,without dumping anything into it,as far a meds are concerned.These fish were doing good under your care for several years,and maybe you should keep up the routine in the new tank.DONT panic,and start to dump in meds without thinking it through.

Freed
02/18/2009, 07:48 PM
What are your ammonia, pH, alk, salinity, temp, nitrite?

BHAMR6
02/18/2009, 07:49 PM
Keep your fingers crossed ill be doing my water change tomorrow so maybe i can get this under control

Thanks for you help

Freed
02/18/2009, 07:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14427649#post14427649 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Freed
What are your ammonia, pH, alk, salinity, temp, nitrite?

BHAMR6
02/18/2009, 07:55 PM
ammonia-0
ph-8.2
nitrite-0
nitrates-20
alk was alittle low for a few weeks but i got it back up to 9dkh
cal-440
salinity- 1.024
temp- 78

I had 2 bad temp spikes a couple of weeks ago girlfriend left the fan off after feeding she did it twice both times i didnt catch it until the next night when i fed them and felt the heat.
I got the temp in control in a few hrs of catching it but i know that it still wasnt good to happen twice in one week

SHE IS NOT FEEDING ANYMORE