PDA

View Full Version : Rodi coming off Copper water pipe??

Volkman
02/18/2009, 09:15 AM
I know copper is bad in a reef tank, but, isn't most all household water pipe copper? What stops the copper leaching into your tank? I currently have mine rodi tapped off the copper water supply pipe to my water softener, and when I add new media into my rodi, it almost instantly turns from the black/blue color it comes as, to the brown "used up" indicator color. What's the scoop?? Your help would be appreciated!

fours2many
02/18/2009, 09:48 AM
I am tagging along...I always wondered the same thing. I have heard people on here talk about brass valves are bad before ro/di units too. So what is the scoop?

LobsterOfJustice
02/18/2009, 10:02 AM
My impression is it doesnt really matter what's before the RODI... thats what the RODI is there for, it's going to take everything out.

However, your specific example of the DI resin changing color too quickly would make me concerned. How old are the prefilters and RO membrane?

hawkfishman
02/18/2009, 10:12 AM
ever ro unit i've ever installed conects to copper tubing, don't worry a good unit will take care of all traces of copper. the color change may be do to bad local water??

Volkman
02/18/2009, 10:26 AM
Hey Lobster, my prefilters are all new (1 month, 20-30 gals through them) and the membrane is probably 4-5 months old. My TDS was reading above zero, so I put new resin in, and in about 5 gals it had all turned to brown. Reading zero on the TDS, but still went brown.

Thanks Hawkfish, it is a good rodi unit, so hopefully it's taking all the copper out. Just have always wondered what the official word is regarding this subject.

drauka99
02/18/2009, 10:56 AM
I have copper pipes, my first stage turnes copper pretty quickly, I have an in out TDS metter and check it each time I make more water - out has been 0 for many many gallons. My DI resin has turned brown on the bottom 1/4 but the rest is still blue and green .

reefscape15
02/18/2009, 03:26 PM
probably your local water supply. The filters changing colors are at least letting you know that they are working!

fireman676
02/18/2009, 04:58 PM
As long as your tds is zero i wouldnt be too concerned about it.

Volkman
02/19/2009, 05:20 AM
Thanks guys. My water tests zero after I switch out resin/filters, but the resin changes color COMPLETELY in a matter of a few gallons. Not a big deal as long as things are zero? And when do you guys change your filters? What does your TDS read?

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/19/2009, 08:34 AM
You are monitoring TDS, when you say "things" are zero? That is the thing to use to gauge RO/DI functioning.

This has more:

Reverse Osmosis/Deionization Systems to Purify Tap Water for Reef Aquaria
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/rhf/index.htm

fireman676
02/19/2009, 08:44 AM
I change my di when my tds hits 2.

tmz
02/19/2009, 11:43 AM
Check the tds out of your membrane and the tds going into your membrane. Compare the two. The membrane should effect at least a 90% reduction if not you may need a new one or there may be a pinch or poorly set gasket allowing unfiltered water through to the di resin.

Volkman
02/19/2009, 11:48 AM
Randy, reading the article tonight when I have more time, the best as usual, thank you!

Tom, that is a great idea to check it that way. I have never been totally, perfectly sure that I have all the hoses attached the right way ,as I never could find installation instructions for the rodi unit!! Thank you too!! :)