PDA

View Full Version : Change live rock or not

jarrod13
02/18/2009, 10:42 AM
I'm moving from a 36 gal to a 24" cube (60 gal). I've had a little bit of a HA problem, I plan on changing from crushed coral to sand and replacing all plumbing with algae that I can't clean. I have about 25 lbs of LR, it is not completely covered in HA but it is definetly there, should I get all new rock or use the old with some new? Also, should I use the old water? The shorter the cycle the better for me

Thanks

jimmy n
02/18/2009, 10:49 AM
I'd make a trash can full of saltwater and put the old rock in there for a few weeks with no lights and a powerhead/heater. Then rinse the rock, or swish it and place it in a new batch of water until all the HA falls off. Then you have live rock without the excess nutrients.

romanr
02/18/2009, 10:50 AM
If your filtration/maintenance is better with the new tank then the HA will disappear soon enough so I would not discard the rock. If your filtration/maintenance is not better then even new rock will end up covered in HA also.

reefscape15
02/18/2009, 03:29 PM
Agreed with ROMANR and JIMMY N - don't get rid of the rock just because of algae. you need to find whats causing it and take care of that, not just replace what it's on.