PDA

View Full Version : How to INCREASE flowrate on Megaflow Overflow System?

JPReef
02/18/2009, 02:41 PM
I just bought a 65g Aqueon tank with the megaflow overflow system. It says its flow rate is 600gph. Is there a way i can increase that to handle a mag-drive 7 or even a 9.5 without putting a ball valve on the return to slow the flow rate?

Thanks!

chimmike
02/18/2009, 03:08 PM
Honestly I don't think you'll be able to do that without using the return side as an additional drain, plumbing the return line up over the edge of the tank.

8BALL_99
02/18/2009, 03:19 PM
No reason to run so much through your sump. You only need enough water going through the sump to feed your skimmers and heaters. More then that is just wasting power. Your better off getting your flow from powerheads or closed loop. They move more water for less energy. Also if you max out your overflow and you do have any kind of small blockage you will have a overflowed tank pretty quick.. FWIW if you insist, You can run a mag 7 or even a mag 9.5 with a single 1" drain. Again I wouldn't recommend it..

PowermanKW
02/18/2009, 04:49 PM
I don't know much, but just went through this. My 90 has a 1" drain. The Megaflow rating is based on how muchwater the 1" drain will drain.

If you have a barbed connection like I did, it isn't 1". I changed to a slip BH fitting, and oversized my piping. My return is a 3/4", but again, the barbed BH was very restricting. My 9.5 was not putting out near a much as it could. So I increased it's piping too.

Now I have way too much flow. Drain drains it fine. But like 8BALL said, there is no need to just move water around. I only need enough to supply my skimmer. I needed the extra flow to supply my new fuge, but still have plenty. Had to install a valve to throttle back the 9.5.

Bottom line though is that you will always be limited by how much a 1" drain can drain.

customcolor
02/18/2009, 06:05 PM
mag 7 will work just fine. i think at 4' or so its only 500gph for the mag7

jspot
02/18/2009, 06:44 PM
Set up a herbie style overflow and run you return over the back. I ran a 90 with megaflow and used a mag 9.5 wide open. I used a 1.25 inch pipe on the return side so as not to restrict the pump.

kgross
02/18/2009, 08:13 PM
You can do some things to increase the water that it will handle, but I will say you don't want to. The more water you have flowing through the tank/sump the louder it will be, and the harder it will be to keep the bubbles out of the sump, plus you decrease your surface skimming and make your skimmer less effeciant.

Kim

jspot
02/18/2009, 08:27 PM
The herbie method is pretty quiet and bubble free, all depends on how much water volume you want running through the sump.

sjm817
02/18/2009, 08:57 PM
It will easily handle a Mag7 which is plenty of return flow for a 65G.. Maybe a Mag9 depending on how it is plumbed.

JPReef
02/19/2009, 07:20 AM
I thought the rule of thumb was to run 5 to 10 times the size of the tank in gallons through the sump in 1 hour???

I did think about using both of the drains and running the return over the back on each end of the tank. Mainly because i don't want powerheads clogging up the display tank. I hate the look of powerheads.

thanks for the suggestions though. and btw. what is the herbie method? ive been out of the salt hobby for about a year now and im just getting back into it, so im a bit rusty.

padgett152
02/19/2009, 07:39 AM
put a T in the return line. Have one line going to tank and one line going back to sump. you can valve the one going to sump, then their will not be any back pressure on return pump.

sjm817
02/19/2009, 08:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14430867#post14430867 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JPReef
I thought the rule of thumb was to run 5 to 10 times the size of the tank in gallons through the sump in 1 hour???

The general rule is 3 - 5x. Some think that is too high, some think that is too low. Many think it a good general rate.

Consider that RR tanks are not designed to handle high sump flow rates. Ever wonder why?

JPReef
02/19/2009, 08:33 AM
RR? sorry im still not up to date on the lingo yet

sjm817
02/19/2009, 08:42 AM
RR = Reef Ready

JPReef
02/19/2009, 09:22 AM
ah, thanks peeps :)

PowermanKW
02/19/2009, 09:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14430867#post14430867 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JPReef
thanks for the suggestions though. and btw. what is the herbie method? ive been out of the salt hobby for about a year now and im just getting back into it, so im a bit rusty.

Here you go.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=344892

Some one here suggested it to me. Long thread. It has some advantages. I'm going to replumb my recent replumbing to go to the Herbie method.

JPReef
02/19/2009, 11:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14431849#post14431849 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PowermanKW
Here you go.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=344892

Some one here suggested it to me. Long thread. It has some advantages. I'm going to replumb my recent replumbing to go to the Herbie method.

Thanks, ive looked around and cant seem to find it, but where would i find mesh tubing like that? Or does it have to be made?

PowermanKW
02/19/2009, 11:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14432431#post14432431 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JPReef
Thanks, ive looked around and cant seem to find it, but where would i find mesh tubing like that? Or does it have to be made?

Buried in the thread there was discussion, but that was a couple of years ago. He got his from an existing overflow kit he had on hand.

Most talked about searching for "overflow screens" and there were several out there from aqua culture suppliers. I was just going to drill some pipe. The screen looks nice, but I thought the small holes would be hard to keep clean from algae.

DodgeDude99
02/19/2009, 11:56 AM
i know the rule of thumb for wet/drys on fish only was 6-8xhour.

i have a 90 w/corner overflow using the megaflow drains.
the megaflow is 1.25", the bulkhead is 1", and i have an increaser to take the 1" bulkhead to a 1.25" drain and have it drop 8' to the basement.

i have a little giant 4mdxsc (the model with the higher flow rating) and that is pushing water up about 9.5' thru 1" pipe to a 3/4" bulkhead back to 1" pipe into the tank.

the overflow can handle the pump going full throttle, but i obviously dont run it that high because i wouldnt be able to hear my TV.

faze07hd
02/19/2009, 12:37 PM
im with the dude

kgross
02/19/2009, 12:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14430937#post14430937 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by padgett152
put a T in the return line. Have one line going to tank and one line going back to sump. you can valve the one going to sump, then their will not be any back pressure on return pump.

Of course this will make your power bill go higher and more heat to be put into the system, then just using a valve to slow down the flow from the pump.

Kim

JPReef
02/19/2009, 03:50 PM
well see i was gonna run a Y connector (if i can find one)to reduce back pressure and pump stress while still being able to run dual returns so i wouldn't need those ugly power heads i dislike so much. Just wanted to make enough flow to circulate around my live rock. figured i could try to lessen my dead zones with a lot of return rate.

Going to be a reef tank so im also trying to have high flow for those picky corals.

Also, (trying not to get off subject) i don't know if i should make another thread to ask this but, do i REALLY need a calcium reactor? or can it wait?

kgross
02/19/2009, 03:54 PM
You do not need a calcium reactor, but you will need something to supplement calcium and alkalinity as corals grow in your tank.

Now, you will need a lot more flow for a reef tank, than just your return pump. You will need to do either a closed loop or some power heads in the tank to move water. Reef tanks need lots of water movement, most people go for 20 to 60X tank volume, with many people doing even more than that.

When you try to do all the water movement in the sump, the first problem you have is noise. The water flowing over the overflow and down into the sump is noisy. Second bubbles, with 1000's of GPH going through the sump it can be hard to eliminate bubbles. Third. Your protien skimmer does not work as well since you are not trying to concentrate the surfactants with the surface skimming and feeding that concentrated water to the skimmer.

Kim

Kim

JPReef
02/19/2009, 03:57 PM
alright, so should i just use a Mag7 for the sump and a Mag9 for my closed loop?

kgross
02/19/2009, 04:00 PM
If you have them, they will work well. Myself I don't like the Mag pumps for closed loops, they are not great pumps, you can get something that puts out a lot more water for not much more money, that will not heat up the water as much.

Kim

JPReef
02/19/2009, 04:03 PM
Ive already got them from my old 75g build, im just trying to implement equipment from my old build so i don't have to buy new. just locally picked up a 36" light Outer Orbit 150 HQI for 100 bucks so im actually having some luck on good equipment deals.