PDA

View Full Version : Natural Kenya Tree Frag?

Packersfan21
02/18/2009, 05:10 PM
Just a little bit ago, while I was looking at the tank, I noticed a small piece of my kenya tree coral lying on the sandbed. So I'm wondering if it is a natural frag or if a crab may have cut it off. It's reproduced before by having a new polyp grow next to the main coral, but a piece has never broken off before. Any Ideas???

800th post! Almost to a 1,000...

DLANDINO
02/18/2009, 05:19 PM
This coral will drop branches all the time and yes, it is a natural frag. Also, as this coral gets bigger it will drop more and more branches soon over running your tank. I had a small clump of kenya as my first coral, that was over a year ago. 6 months ago I got rid of the mother colony because I couldn't keep up with the offspring. To this day I am still trying to get these things out of my tank! Good luck and consider yourself warned ;-)

runningstix
02/18/2009, 05:55 PM
haha yeah they are a disease. My only cure was starting over. Bigger tank and all new rock. Its evil

Packersfan21
02/18/2009, 06:39 PM
Thank you for the replies. Ok, cool then. Thr kenya tree I have now is nowhere near out of control, so I may attach the frag to something and then grow it and sell it or give it away.

CRASHJT
02/18/2009, 07:14 PM
I thought it was the pulsing xenia that was the herpies of SW apparently thats not the only one huh....

BuddhaKiss
02/19/2009, 02:12 AM
IMO, the kenya tree is worse, b/c it'll drop little bits of themselves, only to have them float somewhere else to replant. At least with xenia and GSP have growth that is localized. You may have to prune more with those two, but at least u know where to look. Kenya tree frags are in every corner of my tank, and I'm constantly hunting them down

nikon187
02/19/2009, 02:14 AM
+1. I have been spreading the plague for over 2 yrs by bringing them in to the store i work for

James983
02/19/2009, 06:04 AM
Yeah, when we're new we are just happy keeping something alive. But Kenya Tree is a vial weed and should be kept out of any reef tank. I've been plucking it out for over a year now. Right in the garbage.

micstarz
02/19/2009, 08:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14430301#post14430301 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nikon187
+1. I have been spreading the plague for over 2 yrs by bringing them in to the store i work for

Deliberately?!

DLANDINO
02/19/2009, 08:47 AM
Packersfan21, to answer your second question, you can attach a frag of this coral to a piece of LR by wrapping an elastic band around it and the rock of your choice. Don't attach it too tightly but just enough to secure it to the rock. It will attach itself within a week. Once it is, remove the band and you are all set to go.

Packersfan21
02/19/2009, 02:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14431298#post14431298 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DLANDINO
Packersfan21, to answer your second question, you can attach a frag of this coral to a piece of LR by wrapping an elastic band around it and the rock of your choice. Don't attach it too tightly but just enough to secure it to the rock. It will attach itself within a week. Once it is, remove the band and you are all set to go.

Thank you for the replies. yes, that is what I was thinking of doing, but the frag has dissapered. I hope it turns up so I it doesn't start growing in place where I can't get to it.