PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone. New User...Question on water sources.

Persius
02/18/2009, 05:53 PM
Superb forum - I'm happy to be a member.
I am about to establish a sump room both for several existing FW tanks plus eventual SW/reef. I am on well water, extremely hard with a central water softener system. I'll be running hot and cold softened water to the room sink and using the cold to drive an RO/DI.

Question: Is there a reason to also run a well water source (pre-softener) to the room. My thinking is that with the three sources a) hard well water b) softened water c) RO water I have ultimate flexibility in brewing up any FW or SW chemistry I choose. In the FW world at least, there are many species that demand quite hard water. My daughter's guppies for example.

Anyone see a flaw in this logic?

wab
02/18/2009, 06:00 PM
Hi, I have a sw fish and coral tank and everyone loves my hard water and the ph is perfect 8.3. I take it straight from the well and into a bucket and into the sump.

drparker
02/18/2009, 06:26 PM
[welcome]

I can't find fault with your logic.

Persius
02/18/2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the confirmation fellas. Now that I am reading up on making salt water, am I correct in concluding that the hard well water source will be useful in the FW realm but has no role to play in SW?

Crustman
02/18/2009, 08:20 PM
Check your water for TDS. If it is high, then buy or make R/O. I found a Culligan R/o water dispenser at Walmart with zero TDS for 33 cents per gallon.