PDA

View Full Version : NITRATE issue that I can not solve

RSOMOGYI
02/18/2009, 06:00 PM
I have had a 120 gallon reef tank with sand (aragonite / Red Sea) set up since May 08. I have been having a nitrate problem ever since I could remember. My nitrites, PH, AK and ammonia are all in check. I cut back on the feeding. I ran DE-Nitrate thru a phosban canister. I did massive water changes. Nothing was / is working. I then added an RO/DI unit which did positive things for my tank but, not for the nitrates. I was told (by the LSF) that the reason why I have a nitrate issue is because of the sand in the aquarium. Reluctantly - I removed the sand (that was hell). I still have the nitrate problem. Now I am being told that I should remove my bio-balls (3 gallons) over a period of 3-4 weeks. I have about 200 lbs of live rock in the tank and the sump. Should I remove my bio-balls? I do not know what else to do. I am always up for a challenge ... but, I have had enough. I am not ready to give up. Can anyone offer any resolution?

jon99
02/18/2009, 06:16 PM
I have read MANY times that bioballs and similar type wet dry filters are not good in saltwater tanks because they trap and release nitrates. Also if you have any type of filter pads, sponges, or socks either remove them or clean them out on a weekly basis, for the same reason.

madisonrose05
02/18/2009, 07:29 PM
imo you have a fairly new tank so the bio balls prob shouldnt have been an issue, however i aggre with jon99 you should ditch the bioballs and start growing some cheato in the sump that will def help with nitrates
if the rodi unit is a newer addition then you may just need to do some massive water changes with rodi to get the levels in check
also you should double check your testing equ sometimes test strips or chemicles will expire and give you false readings
what is yoru nitrate readings???

becact
02/18/2009, 07:59 PM
Remove the bioballs, but do it VERY slowly! Some people say washing out the bioballs helps the nitrate problem associated with them, but why submit to more maintenance than you need to? Just remove them completely and replace that volume with carbon, chaeto, live rock rubble, or a combination of the above :)

baldomero
02/18/2009, 08:17 PM
i agree the other day i checked my nitrate level after about a couple of weeks (sorry i was lazy) they were up to almost 100ppm so i did a water change and it was no help then i cleaned all my sponges and replaced the filterpads on my wet dry and got the nitrates down to 20ppm thats what u should do

Avi
02/18/2009, 09:27 PM
I have a 120 and I'd always had nitrates at a level that was higher than I wanted. I couldn't get them down below 20ppm no matter what I did. I tried everything from increased water changes to getting rid of the sand to spartan feedings but no success. I never really found out what it was that caused the elevated nitrates and none of the coral suffered any apparent problems because of it, but I still wanted the issue resolved. Eventually, I bought a sulfur denitrifier and that really ended the issue for me. It's been at zero since I got it about two years ago.

seapug
02/18/2009, 09:48 PM
Removing the bioballs, increasing water changes, and upgrading your skimmer, adding more live rock, etc. are where you should start. If you've tried those without success and/or don't have room or cash to make more equipment improvements, you might consider trying a carbon dosing routine or similar nitrate reducing product.

Vodka has been used very successfully by many people when done carefully and properly. A very good, conservative method to do it is outlined here:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

mikid
02/18/2009, 10:03 PM
the question!,what is to high for nitrates,well for a reef tank differant people have diff opinons,a friend in the big tank threads nitrates hover around 20-30,mainly do to hes feeding of his fish,but his sps/lps arent affected,you didnt state how high of nitrates you are having????,bio-balls or nitrate reactors as i refer to them as,were used years ago and some peolpe still use them today,but is you have alot of live rock,good skimmer,a sump,you dont need bio balls,i use a filter sock,skimmer,phos reactor,and my nitrates are around 10-20ppm,7 fish,zoas,sps,lps and all are thieving,good luck-mike:rollface:

RSOMOGYI
02/18/2009, 10:42 PM
My nitrates are at 200.
I will strat to remove the bio balls.
I have realized that i do have a double posting of this thread ...
Please respond to the other thread since that is the original.
It has teh same subject line .... thank you all for the continuing support.

mikersx02
02/18/2009, 10:51 PM
AGAIN....with the bio balls?

I can understand that mechanical filtration pads (not changed or cleaned frequently) could cause nitrates.... but I have been using eheim substrate for 5 years and have NEVER had a problem with nitrates....