PDA

View Full Version : Surviving Roach Fumigation

J2FcM
02/18/2009, 07:01 PM
My GF informed me that her apartment is getting "sprayed and sealed" for roaches, up in Hollywood.

Apparently you need to leave the apt. for 5 hours...

She has a 18 gallon tank with a single Mantis, and a snail and a hermit... its a newer tank, only 3-4 weeks old that I setup with some of my cycled sand, and rock.

Can she seal it with plastic while keeping the filter running??? Maybe stick a tube or something outside the window to provide some?? oxygen exchange?

Whole thing sounds like crap, but someone here generally always has better advice than my vague ideas!

Thanks for any help!

CRASHJT
02/18/2009, 07:07 PM
I really dont know the best way to handle that I think your Idea is better than nothing I might would us like a dryer vent duct instead of a tube but other than that I dont know what to tell you....sorry I cant be more helpful

kraze3
02/18/2009, 07:34 PM
I would think the tank would be ok for 5 hours. Power outages can last longer than that and tanks can make it. Ive heard people using damp towels over the top of the tank but im not 100% sure this would work. I dont see why the plastic wouldnt work. Lots of tanks are covered with glass covers so why not plastic for 5 hours. Maybe a large garbage bag over to top of the tank and then sealed to the stand somehow?

Agu
02/18/2009, 07:56 PM
I'd remove the tank for a fumigation. You could maybe seal it with Saran wrap but even the five hours is optimistic for a tank. You can return in five hours but that doesn't mean it'll be safe to uncover the tank in five hours.

BTW, most insecticides have a warning about using them near water because of potential fish kills.

agreeive?fish
02/18/2009, 08:07 PM
+1. for the above post but if thats not possible try this

Ok the tank is very lightly stocked so 5 hours is not going to be a problem.
I would only do this with a glas tank as i have no experience with accylics
take some painters drop cloth (plastic/thick) not a trash bag.
cover tank with plastic seal the plastic to tank with a good tight seal of duct tape then cover the plastic with a layer of heavy bath towels..

with the small bio load you will be ok without any water/air movment.. look at how long fish/snails/shrimp ect sit in a gallon or less of water waitng to leave a fedx/ups facility when shipped

sikpupy
02/18/2009, 08:12 PM
That sounds like serious stuff and I hate to say but to be safe, you will need to do some work! I would in the least get a heater and a 5 gallon bucket, transfer the stuff from the tank to the bucket (sand and rock) and put it outside with a heater and power head. maybe sand in one bucket and critters / rock in another. I would then double wrap the tank with plastic bags and parcel tape or duct tape. You might have to get 1 or 2 more buckets for the extra water too. That way, you can have your tank alive somewhere else. If they are going to spray AND seal, I would not even think of keeping the tank open in any way.

J2FcM
02/18/2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks again for the advice... I have experience with power outages and such, so I'm kinda debating maybe trying to just cover the tank with wet towels and plastics... its a tough call argh!

IF I do end up sealing the tank (well, ATTEMPTING to seal the tank) should I turn off the water flow? Or keep it on to at least help exchange what oxygen is under the covers?

lb013
02/19/2009, 07:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14427723#post14427723 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Agu

BTW, most insecticides have a warning about using them near water because of potential fish kills.

No, all do because they are highly toxic to fish and birds BUT when properly applied you have nothing to worry about. Turn off all filters and seal it with plastic and then cover it with a sheet to keep the chemicals off of the tank and stand. I would not be too concerned with the time. Your bioload is small enough that it will not matter. Most of the items we buy spend more than 5 hours in way less water in transit. If YOU prep right, you will be ok. Follow the prep list they should have given you.

darkdruid
02/20/2009, 01:38 AM
There's an easy way to fix the tank so you don't have a problem. All you need is an air pump, airline, an airstone, a black garbage bag, and some tape. Turn off everything in the tank. Take the garbage bag and poke a small hole in it, run the airline through the hole, use the tape to close up the hole around the airline, and attach the airstone. Drop the airstone to the bottom of the tank and place the bag around the tank, using the tape to make it air tight. Open a window and set the air pump outside so it gets fresh air and connect the airline, plug it in, and close the window. What this does is pressurize the system so air is being pushed out of the tank instead of letting contaminated air in. It also provides circulation to keep everything alive.

BangkokMatt
02/20/2009, 04:46 AM
I have this done every 2 months and have never had a problem. I cover the tank with plastic cling wrap and 2 bed sheets. I then add the cling wrap around the cabinet. Turn off the lights and the skimmer. Leave everything else running.
My tank is a 150g fully stocked sps reef and, as I stated earlier, I have never lost or caused any stress to any of the live stock.

Harley-J
02/20/2009, 04:52 AM
Ditto on the covering and running airline outside...

Whisperer
02/20/2009, 07:03 AM
IMO, there is enough dissolved oxygen to last for over 5 hours if you seal the top. Just think of livestocks we order online. Leave the powerheads on for water circulation. The most important thing for me is to shut off skimmer as it draws air from the surroundings. IME, of all the critters in the tank, crustaceans are most vulnerable.

BangkokMatt
02/20/2009, 09:31 AM
I agree with whisperer (and I deal with this situation regularly). If your powerheads are on then you tank will be fine for 5 hours. No need for an air pump.