PDA

View Full Version : Coralline algae, sponges and lighting??

ctniners
02/18/2009, 07:07 PM
HI Guys,
Is it true that if I want to seed my base rock with my new very colorful full of different colors alage and sponges etc...it is good to give the tank more actinic periods...I was told that coralline algae loves actics more than daylight...even though i have a 20k but the radium 20k is not as blue as others.
I ask because I run actincs 1-10 and mh 2-9 so only 1 hour before and 1 hour afer daylight..should i leave the actinics on for longer periods of time...if so how much more?

Thank you

ctniners
02/18/2009, 08:29 PM
^

ctniners
02/19/2009, 08:50 AM
any inputs?

MattAndKim
02/19/2009, 10:05 AM
I think water chemistry and flow conditions can have a more significant effect. The coralline in my 5 gallon display fuge grows to the point of irritation off the light of a 13w PC, just as fast or more quickly than the coralline in my main tank which is lighted with halides and vho.
Are you trying to maintain or spread the sponges which came in on your liverock? I think that the feeding demands of the sponges and the water quality demands of your anemone may be incompatible in a system this size.

ctniners
02/19/2009, 01:22 PM
So you are saying the sponges will not survive?.what are the sponges demands that would clash with my BTAs demands?..please let me know....and by the way the answer is yes, I would like to maintain and spread the sponges that came with my live rock.

Thanks for your help

MattAndKim
02/19/2009, 01:33 PM
i think it would be difficult to keep the water quality good enough for the anemone while feeding heavy for the sponges.
some sponges do ok in home aquariums, some don't. look around for info on keeping sponges.