PDA

View Full Version : Vortech 1, RBTA 0

Mook Man
02/18/2009, 08:01 PM
I just saw the other dude's post about a missing anemone and cloudy water but I wanted to dedicate a new thread to my recently departed RBTA - I too came home today to a cloudy tank, tiny pieces of florescent red tentacles circulating around my tank, and a mangled foot swaying aimlessly on a piece of live rock.

Just got done with an emergency 25% water change, all I had, my corals seem to be okay for now, still open and still getting PE from my SPS, fish are swimming around, ate all of the couple pellets I tossed them...I tested for ammonia and there are traces of it showing up, maybe 0.2 ppm - what would the best course of action be going forward? Water changes every day to keep nitrates down as the ammonia is processed? My tank params were pristine before today:

1.025 sg
ammonia, nitrate, phosphate undetectable
450 ppm Ca
1200 Mg
...and so forth

I am currently cleaning the neck of my skimmer every 15-30 minutes while it bubbles what's left of the anemone out of the water - will continue for the next 4 hours until bed time.

sanababit
02/18/2009, 08:08 PM
just be patient, that is not to much ammonia, if your tank is mature enough it will process it fast, do another water change if you see anything wrong, keep skimmer going till it gets all of the nem out, oh and dont worry i have been there and everything will work outr for you

sana

Mook Man
02/18/2009, 08:12 PM
Something else that I was thinking about is the nature of ammonia - since it is a base, would it drive the pH up, precipitating CaCO3 and thus make me feel worse because it looks worse with the additional particulate floating around?

Edit: Oh and additionally while on the topic of cloudy water, two of my snails are currently adding to the mess by spawning.

Mook Man
02/19/2009, 01:35 PM
Fortunately my tank processed the ammonia overnight - the water's cleared up significantly and it doesn't smell like anemone anymore.