PDA

View Full Version : Tissue receding why?

graveyardworm
02/18/2009, 08:10 PM
Just noticed tonight there is a bit tissue recession along the encrusting edge/base of a frag. I've had it about a month and until now its been fine. I'm pretty sure its an ORA piece that was fragged at the LFS. Its located about mid tank - 180, and in moderate to high random flow. Its been in that same location since I got it.
Parameters
alk 2.7 dkh
Ca 425
Mg 1325
NO3 und
PO4 und

I'm currently running 2 cups ( about 200g ) Phosban changed biweekly and have been for awhile, 1 cup GAC changed biweekly, and Dosing Vodka 10ml per day. The only change is I dosed Vinegar 2 nights also 10ml seperated by one night Vodka. First Vinegar dose was on 2-15 then on 2-16 Vodka, then 2-17 Vinegar

Here it is on 2-16

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f326/graveyardworm/034-1.jpg

and on 2-18

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f326/graveyardworm/003-7.jpg

plyle02
02/18/2009, 08:24 PM
I have had similair issues when dosing with Vodka, vinegar, and sugar, particularily when running GFO... I am not blaming it by any means, but seems a coincidence that when my corals experienced the same base reduction. From what I remember, a UNLS system usually does not fair well when running GFO... I could be wrong though. How are you other sps corals doing, I usually measure over all health by PE, which I also find very reduced during these STN events from the base up....GL

graveyardworm
02/18/2009, 08:31 PM
Everything else so far is ok. Any chance this is white band disease? I am thinking its a Vodka/Vinegar issue. found an intersting article about elevated carbon levels and its association with white band disease.

plyle02
02/18/2009, 08:43 PM
I truly think that elevated carbon dosing is what has led to some of my tissue recession, it seems to be with me, I see so many others running beautiful UNLS systems where carbon dosing is used, just have noticed unexplainable tissue recession from the base, the rest of the coral seems fine, but eventually it goes to the top. I have returned to old school methods of reef keeping, I started a thread/ K.I.S.S. where I speak of this return. I have never heard of white band disease, any articles on it?

graveyardworm
02/18/2009, 08:47 PM
There's a ton of info on white band disease. tarted reading the kiss thread this morning but havent gotten back to it yet.

Reefer08
02/19/2009, 06:14 AM
Too much cabon dosing such as vodka leads to stn?? why? because your stripping out the phosphates and nitrates too fast???

kensilvey
02/19/2009, 08:06 AM
Did you mistype your alkalinity,this seems way low.

graveyardworm
02/19/2009, 10:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14430660#post14430660 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefer08
Too much cabon dosing such as vodka leads to stn?? why? because your stripping out the phosphates and nitrates too fast???

Too much carbon dosing can lead to tissue recession because there's too much carbon.

Sorry about the alk its 2.7 meg/l

graveyardworm
02/19/2009, 10:11 AM
Any thoughts on why the tissue recession? Is this a common occurance when carbon dosing, or is it something possibly other than that. Could it be the GFO? I did notice one of my digtata isnt looking too hot, just lack of polyp extension in one area, and also a Bali pocillopora has some areas areas of tissue loss, but so far everything else looks fine.

Todd March
02/19/2009, 11:01 AM
With already low PO4's, why the need for GFO's and two kinds of carbon dosing...?

Frags that small (particularly of Acros) always make me concerned for a long time. They seem so delicate..

graveyardworm
02/19/2009, 12:14 PM
Trying to outcompete HA for available nutrients. I thought I would try varying the carbon dosing to combat what people describe as bacteria monoculture. They werent dosed at the same time I just dosed one insted of the other and only for 2 nights. Sort of a VSV only without the S.

I had started with GFO, but when it didnt seem to be working I thought I would give Vodka a shot but kept the GFO until the Vodka dose was up and doing the work. Vodka is alot cheaper.

I've been having other problems as of late which may or may not be related to the Vodka. I have a thriving snail population in the tank but it isnt very diverse so I was hoping to add some snails that would eat the HA. I cannot add snails to my tank they instantly close up into their shell and dont move until they are dead. I have made several attempts with stock from different sources and different species but always with the same result. I was ready to give up the Vodka and perhaps shouldve, but with soo many people claiming success, and beautiful tanks I decided to stick with it a bit longer.

So I'm trying to get a concensus on what may be causing this recession. The frag in question really hasnt done anything since it was added, but it has always had good PE, and still does, yet I have tissue recession at the base. It seems to have good color so I dont think its a nutrient lacking issue. My water quality per my test kits has been stable for several months.

I've now got a refugium running, and GFO running, and am more seriously conteplating dropping the Vodka. I cut my dose in half last night and am now going to slowly lower dose until I am no longer dosing.

lecher
02/19/2009, 12:41 PM
I noticed this when starting GFO for the first time. I stopped using it and it slowly went away.

graveyardworm
02/19/2009, 12:53 PM
I'm suspecting the GFO as well, but I've been using it longer without issue. Is there any way to eliminate one or the other as the cause?

Frozn
02/19/2009, 02:25 PM
What works for one persons tank might not work for yours.

I had a tort that did this and eventually died. I was dosing vodka, and it slowly affected this coral. It was the only one, while others looked great.

I would stop the carbon dosing. If your already running GFO than perhaps you should look at other reasons why you have HA..