PDA

View Full Version : Crack in tank

darrennickerson
02/18/2009, 09:22 PM
Hey i dont think this is suppose to be here but i dont think its suppose to be in nano tanks either. I baught a 120 gal tank today and the guy said there is a small crack in the bottom. I cant find the crack at all, but its a bottom with 2 panes of glass together. If there is in fact a crack would it still be ok if its just in the first pane? thanks.

Harlequinreef
02/18/2009, 09:36 PM
why would you ever buy a cracked tank that is going to support priceless livestock, lots of water, and electricity? No matter how small a crack, even if there wasnt one but was told otherwise, I wouldnt fill it with water on my floors. Might make a good reptile tank though

darrennickerson
02/18/2009, 09:39 PM
If there is a crack i will be replacing the bottom, but it would be nice to know if i didn't have to or not. The deal was to good to pass up is why i bought it.

waynem
02/18/2009, 09:40 PM
Get it fixed properly before you use it.

darrennickerson
02/18/2009, 09:45 PM
If i were to fill it up and it didnt leak what would be a good time limit to know if it would ever leak or not? Oh the take would be in my basement with a floor drain

waynem
02/18/2009, 09:57 PM
5 years,

Seriously how much rock, fish and coral going to cost?and if it fails this time next year?

Do you have a local glass guy that could take a look?

darrennickerson
02/18/2009, 10:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14428882#post14428882 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by waynem
5 years,

Seriously how much rock, fish and coral going to cost?and if it fails this time next year?

Do you have a local glass guy that could take a look?
ya ill have to talk him into coming to the house. Im not moving that thing out of my basement again it will be sold with the house

mazda2002
02/18/2009, 11:49 PM
I dont have any real experience with tanks cracking, but I noticed in my tank shopping that a lot of large tanks have tempered glass bottoms. Meaning, if it does crack, it can ''explode'' if its tempered.

SNAKEMANVET
02/19/2009, 11:51 AM
I replaced the bottom on a 240 that the owner had dropped one end.After fixing it, it held water for 6 months no problem.I will refill again next month.I just don't have no room to set it up.

SNAKEMANVET
02/19/2009, 11:56 AM
The 240 was given to me,can't get any cheaper than that.

serpentman
02/19/2009, 12:12 PM
Sorry to be a wet blanket on two accounts. First, never trust a "cracked" pane. Even if it held water alone, consider you will be adding the weight of the rock and sand. Rock will essentially point load the glass which could cause a crack to worsen and the pane to go. Get it fixed now before you have all your livestock and floors vested in it.

Second, good luck getting someone to take the tank with the house. Last house we sold, no one wanted my tank and I ended up having to patch everything up when it sold. Just my unsolicited 2 cents :D